Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to pretend for a second that I know what I am talking about duck hunting. This is where the questions come in. I started to duck hunt with guys that have been doing it for (more than) a few years and I am sure that they are sick of my questions. I think they want me to get into it because of my two labs.

I have been scouting a swamp on a game land for the past few weeks.
The ducks would fly north at dusk (mostly) and a few would come in from the south. The marsh/swamp is wide open. Not much cover over or in the swamp (pleanty around it). But I would see the ducks, about 50 to 60 birds flying out every night. Tonight I saw five. This is where I get stupid.

I was not there the evening of the first day. (last Sat) Is it possable that there was a lot of pressure Saturday that kept the ducks down today? I was working with my dog. Is it possable that they might have spotted us although I did my best to stay below the marsh grass that blocked my view of the swamp and they of me? I could see the sky not the water. Will ducks watch the movment of other birds to see where it is safe to fly? I had red winged black birds flying over me for two hours.

It was an open sky. Does that hurt anything? I just found it odd that after watching the movement of ducks for two weeks they just left. I am guessing that they found a safer, better covered area. Any kind of answer will help. I all ready know I suck...so you do not have to tell me that. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
don't get down on yourself, you will learn more about duck hunting every year, it doesn't matter how long you have been hunting. I know in my experience, weather plays a huge roll, and also the area. Around here if people are harvesting different fields it can change things, someone could have been there the day before you, or right before you. Or there could have been a coyote sitting right in thier hole, you just never know...

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Welcome to the world of waterfowling... as I think that has happened to many of us repeatedly over the years....Hahahahaa

I suspect 3 basic scenarios..
1 That they migrated--especially if the were Teal or Woodies
2 They found better food or resting area somewhere else.
3 Somebody gunned them already. When the roost gets gunned, they will not return as a rule. Often if I find a small wetland loaded with ducks, I'll chase off the birds and not fire a shot. I'll set out a few decoys and then wait and they will came back in singles, small flocks and I'll have good shooting. Now if I shoot right away, the vast majority will not come back that day, if ever that week. A disturbed roost-especially in the late afternoon is the #1 reason will move on prematurely (not from forces of nature, weather, etc..)

OH and there is a wild card too... none of the above happened :laughing:

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
That is why we call it hunting. If we knew why ducks did anything in particular, we would have to call it killing, cause that is what would be happening. Sometimes ducks and geese just decide to move for no apparent reason. I have seen it happen before, and the more you hunt the more it will happen.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. We went to our "secret spot" tonight. We downed two...mine a woodie and the other a mallard. I am guessing the PA Game Commission tells the ducks when shooting hours are over. When we left the swamp the sky was filled with ducks. Figures. My yellow lab pup was very interested in the duck I brought back. Does anybody else find the call of a wood duck eerie and relaxing at the same time. If no...then I don't either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.