Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago I posted a topic about my dog taking other dog's brids and what I was going to try and due to fix it. Well I have had only 3 training sessions with him and his mom. I started out having his mom hold his dokken bumper (which he is crazy about) in her mouth. After maybe 5-6 of him trying him best to take it and me poping on his leash and shocking him he showed great improvement. The second session started out the same way with his mom holding the bird and he only went after it once and then he would not even attempt. I would walk him around her and what not and he wouldn't even look at it. So then I proceed to make him stay and throw the bumper for her and had her bring it to hand right in front of him and he never even made an attempt at it. Then I threw the bumper for her and walked him towards her (on the leash) while she was bringing it back to my brother who was helping me, he would still not attempt it. I am so glad at how fast he has learned and will continue this for a few more days and hopefully get a few other dogs involved to test him. Well that is my report, I haven't tried it in the field yet, but I am probably going to hunt planted pheasant tomorow just to test him out. Thanks for all the imput and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If you can, switch it up with a real dead duck or pheasant....those smells and feathers can make all hell break loose. I would try that before introducing other dogs....you will also want to incorporate the sound of the gun going off, as well...do this before setting him loose in a field with a bunch of other dogs....nice work, by the way!

Labs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.