Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An unscrupulous bastard at a local shop set my brother-in-law up with a gun that does not fit him well at all. I have talked him into selling it and buying a Nove or S-Nova. The S-Nova's shim kit is a major selling point, as is the stock since he is a smaller guy who does not have a great deal of shooting experience. The trouble is I keep reading about people having cycling trouble with the Super Novas - odd, considering the only trouble I ever had with my nova was when I occasionally shorted 3 inchers. Is this lift rail problem that prevalent in the Super Nova?

·
Registered
870 Posts
brent4hire said:
The trouble is I keep reading about people having cycling trouble with the Super Novas - odd, considering the only trouble I ever had with my nova was when I occasionally shorted 3 inchers. Is this lift rail problem that prevalent in the Super Nova?
I currently have 2 Super Novas and in the past owned the Nova (regular) along with being a gun shop owner for a number of years. The only time the SN or Nova has cycling problems is when it's short stroked by my 14 year old cousin :yes:

To answer your question directly, NO it is not a prevelent problem with the guns mechanism.

Disclaimer: Every brand of gun has a certain % that has issues. Benelli in general has a very good reputaion for a quality product.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Disclaimer: Every brand of gun has a certain % that has issues.
Major Woods is right that every gun has a % of problems and in my experience the Super Nova does have problems. The lift feed rail on mine will get sticky by the end of the day and require daily cleaning. One other guy on heres sticks all the time and he has to pull it down with his key. They are very sensitive to cleaning and sand has brought mine to a stand still. Double feeds 2 3/4". I would say for the money you could get an 870 or 835 and have money for a case of shells. Or even a Bps. My .o2
One other thing that I have noticed is the weight of and SuperNova is incredible. It weighs more than an SX3.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The nova is a great gun, the only problem I have had is when I short stroked it, and the time it was dropped in a river chasing a duck. As it turns out guns don't work well with 1/2 in of ice around them, who knew :rofl: . It has been a great gun for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have about 5000 rounds through my Nova, never had a problem, ever, well once I got some stubble stuck in the feed tube (from lay out blind) and that was kind of an issue, but we will call that operator error.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I shoot a nova and I hunt with a crew of big benelli users. With hundreds of rounds through it shooting everything from greenheads to whitetails I have had no problems. If your just shooting one for the first time you will have to get use to the grips and the action because it is sure diffrent than 870's. I think this one will be around for a long time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the Nova has few problems - I have owned one myself - my question is about the feed rail issues with the Super Nova.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I cant remember the guys name that had to lift his rail with a key. If I could you could ask him if he got it fixed or not. The problem I have seen is if you gun i dirty or really cold when you put shells in the feed rail stays open or up. Then when you shoot at something or try to eject a shell it will eject a round onto the ground. I remedy it by keeping it really clean. I also had to put a stiffer spring in the trigger return.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Buddy of mine had a super nova that the firing pin wouldn't cock half the time..Im interested to see how many people have issues with these guns, thinking of getting one myself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
jrockncash said:
I cant remember the guys name that had to lift his rail with a key. If I could you could ask him if he got it fixed or not. The problem I have seen is if you gun i dirty or really cold when you put shells in the feed rail stays open or up. Then when you shoot at something or try to eject a shell it will eject a round onto the ground. I remedy it by keeping it really clean. I also had to put a stiffer spring in the trigger return.
When you load a supernova or nova the shell carrier stays up on the first round.

also this is NOT a known problem i've seen supernova's before and all function flawlessly

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You may not of seen it but I have and so have a couple of other guys. I dont hate my SN but if it has problems Im going to tell the guy. I think the Nova has alot less problems than the Super. Maybe they did something different and maybe I got a lemon. To remedy the rail staying up I try and remember to cock the gun a little and drop it then get ready to shoot. If you love them so much I will sell you mine for 300 bucks.Uncle. only 1.5 season old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts