Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank H2O for this idea from his story about the stupid lawyer. I am not calling lawyers stupid...just this one, when it comes to going hunting Unprepared. I trust that most of you guys that post here can hold your own without a doubt. So what I am looking for is beyond the obvious...Lighter, maps, compass, walkie talkies, cell phone, letting people know where you are, NOT eating raw duck and drinking dirty water and crap like that. What about stuff that can really save your ass? Like the guy that was hiking and had to cut his own arm off after getting it trapped under a fallen boulder. That is a bad azz! (Point of this is he was just hiking and never thought something that simple would be a threat to his life.) I will offer my own tip soon....I want to see what you guys have to offer.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
As for Lawyers--let me tell ya---there are more stupid jack ass lawyers out there than good knowledgable ones from my experience. nuff about them.

Well is it really so obvious as to what to bring? The Lawyer did not.

Most important Basics to have in hunting kit:
Compass
matches in water tight container
foil emergency blanket
bottles of water
Cell phone - you do not always have reception and batteries can burn out.
GPS---remember what if the batteries go? better have that compass!
Maps of area
Knife
And the very important several small packs of tissue, can be used for butt wipes, starting a fire, wiping glasses off, etc...

Tool kit for the boat.
Pliers
screw drivers
basic socket set
extra spark plug
extra pull cord
small flashlight
Head lamp with extra batteries
flares
Duct tape
zip ties
all of the above fights nicely into a 50 cal ammo can which is waterproof.
A good thing to have stashed under the boat seat is an extra gas line with bulb. Also a 10 x 12' poly tarp readily availble for cheap at any home improvement store. Also at least 30' of 1/4" rope or bigger. An hand axe is good to have too. You can get a 20Mm ammo can which is about 3 Xs the size of a 50 cal can and all of it would fit into it. A tip is too tie the can to the boat--if you flip the boat the can will be with the boat and not floating away...

Here is a biggie---a dry gear roll top bag with extra clothes like:
extra inner and wool socks
extra gloves
jacket
warm hat
Bibs
Basically stuff that you may need to stay warm or to change into if you get wet.

I am sure there are a few other things too I am forgetting, but the above is a good start. BTW---I carry ALL of the above in my boat except the GPS--do not have one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
here's my personal "you big dummy" story

was teal hunting....with my new 3" 870 wingmaster...i had moved the plug from my older wingmaster into this one....only 1 shell would fit in magazine....not 2...oh well teal move pretty fast anyway..prob dont need that 3rd shot

after a couple of hours...and boredom setting in...i think...i've got a knife...i can disassemble my 870 and shorten the plug....if you own or have ever messed with an 870 you know how easy it is to do

i haul the plastic plug out and (heres the stupid part) cut it shorter with my knife using my knee as a cutting board....the knife goes through my waders and an inch into my leg....the gash is 4 inches long and 1 inch deep....saw skin/fat/muscle and then BLOOD...lots of it

the Boy Scout training from years ago kick in....i used my sling and barrell from my shot gun to make a tourniquet...called my wife on the cell and told her where i was she then called 911 and relayed the location....then pucnhed 929 into my cell (the time i put the tourniquet on)

they came and hauled me out 5-10 minutes later.....2 inches to the right and i would be learning to walk again 2 inches to the left and would have bled to death....on that part i was lucky...

i did get chewed out by my brother about the tourniquet (he a prof firefighter in NC) but i told him to shove it the tourniquet was the last first aid training on cutting the crap out of you leg i had had.

in an emergency you just have to keep a cool head and don't freak out.....use your resources....and get out alive so you can hunt another day...

one funny thing when the emergency room nurse took off the trauma dressing a HUGE mosquito flew out....she looked at me and asked "What was that, a mosquito?" i said "Yep and he just left the buffet fat and happy"

that was 2001 and the knee healed fine....and everyone ribs me about it every chance they get...shoot i cant even cut my own steak....my wife says i'm not allowed to use knives anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Item I don't leave behind.

Gerber multi tool...knife, pliers., saved the hunt many times.

Wool socks.

layered clothing..

When no gun (bowhunting) whistle to signal for help.

Cell phone.

Most important ..... let someone know where I'm hunting before I go.

Thats it for the hunting.

If I'm in the woods more than a couple of days (backpacking)

same as above plus the obvious..food, water purifier, shelter, a small first aid kit with (mole skin, diarrhea, pain med, bandages, needle, tweezer) and handgun. The thing is to prevent a minor problem from progressing to a big one....blister to not being able to walk...diarrhea to dehydration..etc.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
anti diahrea meds--yup I agree RC86. I have a small bottle of meds, I have vitamins in it, asprin, Advil, anti diarrhea, etc... all kept in the hunting kit ammo can..

As for mishaps.....

I was cutting a "crotch" from a willow tree to do some bank fishing to hold my reel out of the sand and sit a spell as I was wading most of the day already while trout fishing. Any way, I was whittling on it and noticed what felt like water an my hand and it puzzled me, I look down and blood all over the place, the swiss army pocket knife was so sharp I never even felt it cut me. Took the top of my thumb knuckle down to the bone on an angle and I was over a mile from the car. I barely made it to the car. They figured I lost close to 2 pints... That was over 25 years ago--I always think about that when I take out a knife.... be careful :thumbsup:

Knives and axes are a useful tools, but one wrong thoughtless act and it can have dire consequences. :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
LOL.. Uhhhhh Never been lost..heheh was uhhhhhh once disoriented one winter night in alaska back in about 67.. LOL Long story short, it got dark early....and was about two miles from the road while moose huntin... anyway me and the old timer i was huntin with made it out at about ten oclock at night...LOL..North star saved my ass then... *S*(ps, Im the old timer now LOL)..I was also in Search and rescue for about 5 yrs in Colorado... so ive seen some stupid stuff... hehehe as for now..??? God,,,id think ya would hafta be a lawyer to get lost hunting here in central kansas....LOL....

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Good survival tips

How about knowing the area your hunting since you should have scouted it and know the area and the ducks or stuff your hunting.

Always have a knife.

carry flint and char cloth away from civilation on long hunts. If you get lost flint and you knife blade can make sparks and char cloth catches easy.

Learn how to make a lean to shelter with leaves. Your own body heat will keep you warm over night inside the small insulated enclosure.

Dry cedar can make a fire with a hand drill or bow drill application. If you lose your lighter or wet your matches you can make a fire with dry cedar sticks and dry cedar bark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.