Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory chokes would prob work fine - but what's everyone's experience as far as the best patterning choke out to 40 yards ?
Carlson's Mid Range Cremator or Kicks Mod or full ?
For Ducks !

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes to all three. None are so expensive as to break the bank but shoot your factory chokes first and see how they do then do the math on pellets per dollar you think you can improve with any of the above. I did with my cynergy camo and ended up buying the cremator 2 pack, mid and long. They are a marked improvement from factory which were at least in my gun..... poor.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In my sx3 I shoot a Browning Grand Passage in light mod. It is actually made by Briley. Best choke in my gun hands down. Anywhere from 20 yards in the timber to 40+ open water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
^2nd Coyote. My Briley LM has been a great choke in my SX3 for years and years. Some seasons it never comes out of the gun. From the fields in Saskatchewan to the shores of the Pamlico Sound it has been my choke of choice for almost all hunting situations. Of course, there are times when I screw in a Mod or even an IM but that is when I know the most all the shots will be long or the wind is howling. You're milage may vary.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My L/M cokes do a great job on killing birds with the loads I shoot out to 40 yards. With some loads a Skeet or I/C choke work great at 40 yards and less.

My I/M and Full chokes shoot patterns that are way to tight for shooting at birds at 40 yards.

For shooting birds between 15 yards and 35 yards I think you will cripple more birds shooting a Mod or Full choke than you would shooting a Skeet or I/C choke.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In all honesty, I've tried em all. Kicks, Patternmaster, Rob Roberts... but to me the Briley light mod is by far the best call around choke that I've found. I will say that i have the patternmaster code black decoy in my benelli m2 and it throws a great pattern at 35 yards. But my SX2/sx3 the Grand Passage beats em all.

·
Registered
299 Posts
gooseman1 said:
Factory chokes would prob work fine - but what's everyone's experience as far as the best patterning choke out to 40 yards ?
Carlson's Mid Range Cremator or Kicks Mod or full ?
For Ducks !
I have a Carlson's Waterfowl 3 Pack for my SX3. I use the close range from dove and the mid and long range for ducks depending on how the specific load I'm using patterns.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Up tell cremator chokes came out in 12 ga I shot almost all time light mod extended or factory mod , once cremator came out I been using mid range cremator almost all time. Cremators are great chokes

Goose

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 28" SX3 and I have patterned quite a few chokes with a variety of shells. I always struggle finding a choke that will work for the closer shots and also be acceptable for a 40 yard shot. The chokes that I have done a bit of patterning with in my SX3 are Briley IC, LM, MOD, IM, Goose; Trulock mid range and long range; Muller Decoy and Passing. The factory IC seems to work great for 7.5 or 8 shot when dove hunting. With waterfowl loads, I get pretty poor patterns from the factory chokes. As a very generalized rule, if will be shooting in the 20-30 yard range, I will be using the Muller decoy choke. The Briley IM/goose choke (they are the same restriction) pattern the best out of my SX3, but it is quite tight unless the shots are longer. As much as I wanted to like the Briley LM, I didn't get as good of patterns with this choke. It wasn't terrible, but not consistent enough for me to be happy.

I have not tried a Kicks High Flyer or a Jebs in my SX3. I did use a Rob Roberts and a Kicks in my Benelli, but I didn't find either of these chokes to be better than some of the other manufacturers in my SBE3 (but nothing patterned well for me with that gun).

Regarding waterfowl shells, I get good patterns with Federal Speed Shok shells from my SX3. I have patterned quite a few brands and loads, and the Speed Shock shells seem to give overall good pattens.

·
Registered
259 Posts
cals400ex said:
I have a 28" SX3 and I have patterned quite a few chokes with a variety of shells. I always struggle finding a choke that will work for the closer shots and also be acceptable for a 40 yard shot. The chokes that I have done a bit of patterning with in my SX3 are Briley IC, LM, MOD, IM, Goose; Trulock mid range and long range; Muller Decoy and Passing. The factory IC seems to work great for 7.5 or 8 shot when dove hunting. With waterfowl loads, I get pretty poor patterns from the factory chokes. As a very generalized rule, if will be shooting in the 20-30 yard range, I will be using the Muller decoy choke. The Briley IM/goose choke (they are the same restriction) pattern the best out of my SX3, but it is quite tight unless the shots are longer. As much as I wanted to like the Briley LM, I didn't get as good of patterns with this choke. It wasn't terrible, but not consistent enough for me to be happy.

I have not tried a Kicks High Flyer or a Jebs in my SX3. I did use a Rob Roberts and a Kicks in my Benelli, but I didn't find either of these chokes to be better than some of the other manufacturers in my SBE3 (but nothing patterned well for me with that gun).

Regarding waterfowl shells, I get good patterns with Federal Speed Shok shells from my SX3. I have patterned quite a few brands and loads, and the Speed Shock shells seem to give overall good pattens.
I recently bought a Browning Silver 28". With Kent Fasteel 3" #3, I get a real good pattern at 40 yards with a patternmaster code black duck. If I want to push it out to 50+ yards, I switch to Rio Bluesteel 3.5" BB. Same choke, just different loads.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I throw a good pattern @ 40 yards with my patternmaster mid range. Recommend 2 shot or smaller though.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I also recommend a LM across the board. I use an old Briley Duck Choke, which is a LM as well as a Trulock LM for everthing from early season teal to late season canada honkers. I've got an old Patternmaster that works well with BB steel when hunting big canada geese, but generally just use the LM. All with steel shot of course. I suppose if I was shooting beyond 40 yards with Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix shot I would try an IM or even maybe a full. However, 90% of the birds we shoot are under 40 yards.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Up tell cremator chokes came out in 12 ga I shot almost all time light mod extended or factory mod , once cremator came out I been using mid range cremator almost all time. Cremators are great chokes

Goose
Creamator mid range = Light Modified
Creamator long range = Improved Modified

Reactions: Yankeegray

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I don't like thinking about changing chokes so , I had barrels fixed chokes reamed to my specifications !
I can tell you , .010 (IC is hard to beat with any type shot) and .015 is by far the most universal constriction
for all shot sizes ! If you understand your payloads needs , a constriction between .012 an .017 will fit the
bill where ever you hunt !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts