Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess Ill start off.

I like synthetics better cuz they are more weather resistant, and I like the looks better.

However wood stocks will always have a place in my heart :smile:
-Stouff

·
Registered
912 Posts
hey! I busted the wood buttstock on my auto-5 this spring and i had to put synthetics on, yeah they look way better than wood and for me i just have a better feel for the gun now.(or it only seems that way) I got a mossberg 500 with a wood stock and i wanna put some camoed (is that even a word?) synthetics on it.

Stouff, you shoot any harlequins up your way??

Kris.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Love wood ,but I would rather use synthetic for durability purposes, going to get a synthetic stock for my wingmaster this summer, to keep the wood in good shape

·
Registered
132 Posts
i prefer wood stock. synthetic stock is nice because the plastic is easy to clean,and if in camo or black will not shine in sun

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I like the feel of wood and the look of it, guess I'm a traditionalist.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I like the synthetic look for my duck gun. It reflects less light and I'm not constantly worried that I'm going to scratch it. However, I like the glossy wood finish on my upland guns. I'm sometimes careless with my duck gun in the boat. It has taken a beeting.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Webfoot12 said:
I like the synthetic look for my duck gun. It reflects less light and I'm not constantly worried that I'm going to scratch it. However, I like the glossy wood finish on my upland guns. I'm sometimes careless with my duck gun in the boat. It has taken a beeting.
Couldn't have said it better. THe Xtrema has a synthetic. My Wingmaster has a wood stock and will always have a wood stock. There aren't many things prettier than a good wood stock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wood for the looks, feel, and tradition. Synthetic guns tend to be more barrel heavy (IMO) than wood stocks because the plastic is so much lighter. I think wood stocked guns tend to handle better. If you don't like the sine of the plastic finish on your wood, get a oil finished stock, much less shine.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i voted synthetic because that is what i mainly use for hunting. the ruggedness and durability can't be matched by any wood that i know of. i do like the way a good wood gun handles though. i don't feel comfortable dragging one through some of the hunting conditions i find myself in though. for me, it breaks down like this...

waterfowl - synthetic
upland game - wood
big game - usually synthetic (hogs) occasionally wood (deer)
turkeys - synthetic

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.