Duck Hunting Forum banner

Synthetics or Wood Stocks

3K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  Quackcephus 
#1 ·
Do you prefer/use synthetic or wood stocks?
Wood1229.27%
Synthetic2970.73%

#3 ·
I guess Ill start off.

I like synthetics better cuz they are more weather resistant, and I like the looks better.

However wood stocks will always have a place in my heart :smile:
-Stouff

#4 ·
hey! I busted the wood buttstock on my auto-5 this spring and i had to put synthetics on, yeah they look way better than wood and for me i just have a better feel for the gun now.(or it only seems that way) I got a mossberg 500 with a wood stock and i wanna put some camoed (is that even a word?) synthetics on it.

Stouff, you shoot any harlequins up your way??

Kris.

#17 ·
I like the synthetic look for my duck gun. It reflects less light and I'm not constantly worried that I'm going to scratch it. However, I like the glossy wood finish on my upland guns. I'm sometimes careless with my duck gun in the boat. It has taken a beeting.

#18 ·
Webfoot12 said:
I like the synthetic look for my duck gun. It reflects less light and I'm not constantly worried that I'm going to scratch it. However, I like the glossy wood finish on my upland guns. I'm sometimes careless with my duck gun in the boat. It has taken a beeting.
Couldn't have said it better. THe Xtrema has a synthetic. My Wingmaster has a wood stock and will always have a wood stock. There aren't many things prettier than a good wood stock. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Wood for the looks, feel, and tradition. Synthetic guns tend to be more barrel heavy (IMO) than wood stocks because the plastic is so much lighter. I think wood stocked guns tend to handle better. If you don't like the sine of the plastic finish on your wood, get a oil finished stock, much less shine.

#20 ·
i voted synthetic because that is what i mainly use for hunting. the ruggedness and durability can't be matched by any wood that i know of. i do like the way a good wood gun handles though. i don't feel comfortable dragging one through some of the hunting conditions i find myself in though. for me, it breaks down like this...

waterfowl - synthetic
upland game - wood
big game - usually synthetic (hogs) occasionally wood (deer)
turkeys - synthetic

#21 ·
There is no wood out there that can take the beating, abuse, and utter violation that a synthetic stock can. Okay, utter violation was too far, but, if there was a wood stock out there that could, I would buy it. There is one problem....$$$$$$$$$. I love wood stocks. It feels so much better. I just cannot be as efficient(if you will), because there will always be that nagging thought that I will drop it and skin it up. My synthetic stock is pretty beat up, so you can only imagine what my glossy 1100 would look like if it was my primary. For a gun that isn't taking a swim that often, I choose wood. For anything but waterfowl or turkey, I prefer wood.

#23 ·
I like the look of wood, but my vote is for synthetic. My gun has held up great for the abuse it's seen. 20 below to 95 above temps. rain, snow, being knocked around in the boat, and unfortunate dunks in the swamp.

#24 ·
synthetic for duck hunting. wood for upland

#25 ·
If I am planning on hunting with it, synthetic (camo) is the way to go. I have a Black Matt Finish SBE tht gets the Fine Red Rust on it very easy. My Camo SBE is a Work Horse, no maintance required.

I love wood, but I can't stand to abuse them and gets scratches on the wood. Most of the Woods that I have, got bought back before there was synthetic. I do have a nice Citori I bought in wood, but it only goes to the shooting range, where it can be babied. Wood is still as pretty as day one, which also looks very good in the Cabinet.

Any hunting: synthetic (camo)
cooter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.