Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My pup is 4 months and one week old. He has always had a great amount of retrieving desire. Two weeks ago he was returning to me with a plastic dummy to hand nearly every time. The past few days there has been a little change. He still runs out hard after the dummy, but it is like he thinks twice about picking it up. When he does pick it up, he runs back slower and more gingerly. So I stopped after a 2 or so retrieves and put it up. I am thinking this is teething, but am not sure....What do you guys think???
Thanks SMD

Also wanted to say that I am doing more obedience, and very few retrieves since this has come up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
smd108

are you using the Avery bumpers? If so try a paint roller or something else that is soft. My pup went thru the same thing. I just worked more on OB for a couple of days with less retrieves and in about a week or so she was back to normal... hope this helps.....

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Most likely this is a teething issue. Like wack n stack suggested, pick up a paint roller or a cloth bumper.
Those plastic bumpers could be causing your pup some discomfort.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, Thats what I kind of figured, since he still gets very excited, and charges the bumper hard. Its just like he thinks, I want to pick this up, but it will hurt my mouth. There isnt any blood, but his gums do look a little inflammed. Im going to take it easy on the retrieves for a week or so and go from there.

Lucky: I live in NW IL, near sterling/rock falls area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.