Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we all now feel good about ourselves bout taking once in a lifetimes shots...I figure now its time now get embarrased by the terrible shot stories.

Yup. All those wonderfull times you couldnt hit the side of a barn :no:

Here are some examples:

Once I shot four ducks. Two teal, a gadwall and a widgeon, all drakes, but the bad part was it took me fifty shells :eek:

Then it took me OVER fifty shells for four ducks.

On opening day, a little arrogant from shooting really well dove hunting, I shot two ducks for fifty shells. :no:

Now since Ive shared my times...its time fo yours

·
Registered
693 Posts
There was never a terrible day of shooting for me. But I did have a terrible season of shooting. Three yeards ago I could have had limits of greenheads, teal, and widgeon. However, I could not hit anything! My brother and I went duck hunting every day in December for two and half weeks straight almost. We shot at LEAST 20 shells if not more daily, at ducks 20 yards or closer. We were just terrible shots. But it sure brings back good old memories of the good times. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It was my brother's rice blind that a lonely speck came in. I loaded up with 3 1/2" BB's and that sucker was 30 yards, all three shots and i missed him clean. Loaded up again and my brother told me he's working the decoys again. Three more shots, NOTHING! This is unbelievable but that stupid speck came right back at us, POINT BLANK, I raised up and BAM! "That's how you do it," said my dad. "You had six chances!" I felt real stupid.

·
Registered
307 Posts
this one is huge.....
my brother and he's not blind....lol
shot blind 12 at delevan in the that epic windy day...
he shot, 50 shots and only one bird

he walked to the car for his 2nd 25, and I gave up
at lunch as he was so pissed... :yes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had shot 6 birds on probaly 15 shells. My friends were out of shells so i dished the rest of mine out and kept 3.... figured i could get one more bird on 3 shells seeing that they were all over us. I shot my 3 shells then since all my buddies were out of shell with only a few birds a piece I walked back to get more shells for them from the truck. It took me 12 more shells to get one more bird that was horrible.

·
Registered
900 Posts
No shortage of stories for me on this one....usually an annual shooting slump.

This year it was through December, during a teal shoot, kind of a glorified dove hunt......the worst of which was 5 birds with 29 shells on a clear, calm day.

The only common denominator I could come up with, (during the walk back to the truck) was every "miss" was a right to left (I am right handed) cross shot.

Left to right was no problem......not sure why.... :huh:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
For about 3 days straight, every bird I shot flew away. They were all within 30 yards. :tongue:

·
Registered
213 Posts
This past season. Thanksgiving morning hunting solo. Just after shoot time I call in 3 mallards and they finally give me a close shot and I killed only 1 greenhead and missed the other drake, ok I said it happens. Next group I call in is 5 mallards, 3 drakes 2 hens. I work them in nice and tight, pull up on the lead greenhead and just as I slap the trigger he side slips and a hen goes down :mad: I regroup and miss the two other shots. Then to top it off I call in a group of 8 mallards and they work in so nice, right in front. I let a pair land and the other 6 are 30 yards behind and locked, they are almost on top of the pair back pedaling at 20 yards, I pull up and 3 shots later not a feather was touched. I have made these shots so many times with great results, but not that day. My dog was beside her self. There was no body to blame but my self. :yes:

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you been hunting long enough your going to have that one day that you should of stayed home and slept in. For me it was hunting with my Uncle at his pond. I shot 25 shells and killed one mallard. All my shots started within 20 yards :mad: OH well at least my Uncle was on that day and mopped up my mishaps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i remember this one hunt a few seasons ago my partner was giving me a hard time cause there were more sprig than usual flying that day , the limit was still one but i couldn't hit one to save my life he was laughing at me though because a spoony would fly by and i'd drop em feet up but every sprig i shot at i'd miss em on all three shots needless to say i never dropped one that day but got my share of the spoonies

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since there is absolutely nothing going on in my state forum, I'll join in.

Me and a buddy went out opening day of teal season. A 4 bird limit should be pretty attainable with a box of shells and a dozen deeks. I shot three birds with my 25 shells and since I was shooting a 12 and my buddy a 20, I was done, until he finished. Then, with his gun, it took me another 3 shots to shoot my fourth bird. VERY BAD DAY!

The next day, 4 birds with 6 shots. Much better.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My worst experience was At my cousins blind outside of Bigs.. He and i were sittin in his blind on a cold blustery day. You know the type of day... A ducky weather day. Unfortunatly nothing was flying. My cousin decided to cook up some taters and eggs. About the time he cracked a few eggs on the sizzeling pan i spotted a bull sprig at about 90 yards out and working. My cousin pulled the pan off the flame and grabbed his gun. We waited and let the bird work. He got within 20 yards of us and my cousin shot 2 shots,, missing him. I took two shots and missed, my cousin then shot his last shot peppering his tail. I shot one more time and the bird decided that he had had enough, and flew off leaving one lone tail feather floating to the water as a parting gift. My cousin and i just looked at each other dumb founded. We couldnt believe that we had missed a single bird within twenty yards with six shots. I have had other days where i couldnt hit the ground if it werent for gravity but this day took the prize. We did end up with a few birds that day, But it is that sprig that will haunt my dreams. Thats why they call it hunting and not Killin..

·
Registered
206 Posts
the worst story i have is about 2 guys that hunted next to us this year on the first day..we had some good shots and had 8 ducks i think it was so we decided to walk over and talk to the guys who were beside us ..( they had been shooting all morning and must have shot at least 3 to 4 boxes of shells between them but they were around a bend so we couldnt tell what they were hitting or missing but we saw tons of ducks going in there) anyway we walked over and asked what they had and they said none so we kinda laughed and just then a teal came into the decoys..they shot at it on the water missed and they both unloaded their guns at it and it still flew away..we looked in their blind and they really hadn't shot any ducks all morning.. cant say im sad because they but a blind about 50 yards from ours the night before hunting after they saw how many ducks were in that area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.