Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew Blind 1 for 11/20 so I headed out this morning to check it out as I have never been. I got there about an hour after legal shooting light and was surprised to not see any activity. There seemed to be a good amount of duck food like smartweed but all I saw was two wood ducks in the area of Blind 2. So, I am wondering if anyone here as seen similar or different conditions. I am hopeful that they will fly in that hour I missed this morning and maybe in the next 10 days we'll get more birds in the area. I have been looking forward to this hunt and as I am coming from Wake Forest, I hope it is worth my drive.

I will say, if anyone drew blinds 8 or 9, you might be in for a real treat if and when good numbers of birds come into the area. While I didn't go out to either blind, the rice the planted in those areas seems to have done very well. At least what I could see from the levee around the impoundment. It is mixed with foxtail so it should really draw and birds that are using the area.

Best of luck to everyone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know much about Texas Plantation. As most things in NC go in waterfowling, its hard to keep something good a secret. Always thought that place would hold birds given its location but haven't heard many great stories out of there. That being said, the 20th is a good little ways off, and this time of the year things can change quickly with migrations. What you saw today might not be much of an indicator for what's in there on the 20th. This incoming front might finally push good numbers of birds into the area. Praries are supposed to freeze up finally and the great lakes region is gonna get a hard hard front so birds should be on the way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not checked on the weather north of us. I hope you’re right and we get a push of birds. Would be fun for sure. Seems like it should hold birds as you said but that requires proper management and so far I have seen much of that from our state wildlife agency.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I scouted that place when it opened. Seemed like it could be fun but they stuck the blinds in there and I havent signed up for it (stopped going to futch as well) I swear the hunting wouldnt be so much better if the blinds where gone and you could hunt where you want. I have not heard much good out of there but have heard futch has some birds early this season. If you have some good rice in there there will be some ducks on it at some point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts