Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking kids under 10 hunting this year?
yes940.91%
no1359.09%

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For the past week or two, I've had duck fever really bad. I've been counting the days until the opener (I'm hoping 111 days!). I think my four year old boy was reading my mind. On friday, he asks me if we can put on his camo and throw some dekes in the canal to "call ducks", so we did and ended up calling in 2 greenhead singles midday. We did it again today and called in a group of 2 greenheads and a hen. What a way to spend two rainy afternoons, It cant get any better than this...........for another 111 days that is!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Two 15 yr olds will keep me busy enough thanks.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't think I'll have anybody to take this year. I think it's great when people get their kids into the sport at a young age. Someday when I have kids I hope I can get them started hunting early.

·
Registered
622 Posts
No, but just because I can't think of anyone to take. All the younguns I know will be going with their daddies and grandaddies. I'll be happy to when one rolls around, though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
No, dont got no one to take of that age right now...... I've got to make sure I find a good spot first, though :smile:

But :salude: to all you unfortunate souls who are!!

-Stouff

·
Registered
63 Posts
My ten year old daughter wants to go but a early morning boat ride to the blind is kind of dangerous. Plus I don't think she operates properly before 1000 a.m. I would take her if I could find a walk up blind!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took my boy on his first hunt this past season, he was only four. It was early in the season & not too cold. I think it was a 9:00 am start, anyway, no birds shot, but he was still in his element, and this year he wants to "put on his camo when its snowy and cold." I guess he comes by it honestly. :smile:

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
not this season...the 10 year old kid i hunt with is turning 11. he's an old hand at it now. he he he.

got about 8 more years before my boy will start going on "real" duck hunts with me. i may make a few afternoon trips with him before that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took my three boys last year (8yrs, 6yrs, and 4yrs old). My oldest had just passed his hunter safety and downed his first duck (I don't know who was prouder the shooter or dad). My youngest is now officially addicted. He askes everyday when we get to go hunting again. Its challenging to have so many young people out at the same time, but yet very rewarding to hear of their excitement and stories during and after the hunt.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
wa,

Im glad to hear there are still dads out there like the one I had/have.

My dad would ALWAYS take me and my sisters out hunting w/ him, even knowing that meant he had like 0.0000000% chance of getting anything........

To him it is the love of the sport, and the fam :thumbsup:

-Stouff

·
Registered
1 Posts
im taking my little bro this year

im only 18 but i know how it felt to be left at home on the days the blind ways full growing up

but i went every chance i could

it fells good to have some one who looks out for you and introduces you to the outdoors at a young age

i started at 6 hunting deer with my dad and i whish he could have started me sooner

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
incoming,
how old is yer brother?

Cuz you may want to make sure that he gets his hunter ed card before season (if required) :thumbsup:

-Stouff

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
my daughter is too young to take just yet...she will be sitting in on a few deer hunts with me this fall though. i may take her on a dove shoot or two also. a lot of it depends on the weather. i am not sure i would feel comfortable taking another person's kid. a lot could go wrong anytime there are guns involved. i would have to really know and trust the parents and the kid before ever considering this...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.