Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
A DHC Legends thread needs an honorably mentioned HG load.

10gaOkie said:
Hi James,
The post you asked me about I was talking about when I built the 3" rto load, as I call it. It starts with a new primed 2 3/4" Ched hull and is roll crimped with a clear plastic disc. This load is loaded with 1 1/4oz of #1s at 1475fps. I get some awsome patterns with it that are like 97% patterns at 45 yards. Note that since it is in a 2 3/4" hull, it gives the same volume loaded as a 3" shell because of the rto crimp.
It is not the HG load. By the way, everyone seems to ask, what does HG stand for? It stands for Holy Grail. You might have noticed that I posted often about how hard it is to get #2 size steel pellets to pattern evenly. The HG load is the only recipe that I have developed or loaded that seems to thrive using this size pellet. #2 pellets are the perfect size for making an all around duck load but finding a load that likes them has been the downfall of using this size pellet. The HG load is the only load I have come up with win 25 plus years of loading steel to do so.
HG load =
once fired or new Ched hull
Ched CX2000 primer
34gr Asteel
B&P32 wad
492gr #2 steel shot
gaep finish crimp (optional)
1475fps
I might add that I still like to shoot factory loads on occasion as well as test them on paper. Among these, I have tried reloading hevi shot and hevi factory plus duplex hevi and steel which is Hevi Metal, TSS etc. I take pride in being able to load and kill with regular steel shot. You cant kill a bird any deader with the hevi shot than you can with a good load of regular steel. I feel using hevi shot, blind side, Black Cloud is a crutch for poor shooting ability. The same can be said for using a 10ga instead of a 12ga to an extent.
As long as you shoot your birds within a respectable range of less than 50 yards, you can take a shortcut getting an effective steel shot recipe like the HG load and become a deadly waterfowl shooter. Of cousre the main ingrediant is good shooting ability which does not come by magic. Several years ago I was at a stand still on my shooting ability and limited to using a IC choke for best success. Not until a couple of years of solid practice at the skeet range was I able to move up to using the chokes I use which are between light full and X full. I have some pattern pics of the above loads that I can send you only by email.

Chris
Miss both Joe and Chris. Always helpful, always informative. The kind of guys that you'd like to have in the blind.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just want to add my appreciation of all the afore-mentioned gentleman, especially BT. And I'll mention another name, TuJays(John M.). If you shoot a Versamax and want to know more about the gun or Need to know more about it, his long running thread at SW is a wealth of information! Remington even incorporated some of his suggestions as changes in the build. Another one among us who left way too soon.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just stopped by after years of neglect. Sorry to hear of the passing of BT who along with Ned helped me struggle after discovering reloading for the first time years ago. I knew of Ned's passing but not BT's since I have not visited the sight in a long time.
I will never forget all of help I received from everyone here on the Chat.
I still load a little but my hunting days are quickly going by. I check in every once in awhile just to see who is still here, and what the conversation s are.
Merry Christmas to everyone and hopefully good time ahead.
Leadhead,

·
Registered
575 Posts
Leadhead said:
Just stopped by after years of neglect. Sorry to hear of the passing of BT who along with Ned helped me struggle after discovering reloading for the first time years ago. I knew of Ned's passing but not BT's since I have not visited the sight in a long time.
I will never forget all of help I received from everyone here on the Chat.
I still load a little but my hunting days are quickly going by. I check in every once in awhile just to see who is still here, and what the conversation s are.
Merry Christmas to everyone and hopefully good time ahead.
Leadhead,
I can honestly say I wouldn't be where I am at in my steel shot reloading without all the help from BT through the years. I sure miss how much he kept a thread alive.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Just a note that I am well and still alive.
Just busy with family and a few hospital visits with the wife and I, just minor, thankfully.

It has been quite a ride......................
hope to get out and do some shooting if the trap and rifle ranges are still open.

Stay well, gang !!

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Miss BT a good amount. I miss Frank Lopez a lot, his posts demonstrated a lot of real knowledge...as opposed to Swygard's posts which supplied almost zero useful information, were mostly acrimony, were evidence of a vivid imagination and a large ego, and indicated he lived in a fantasy world of his own making. Don't miss him at all. I doubt those who were on the receiving end of his insults and threats-of-lawsuits miss him much either. I understand that some here had great personal, off-forum interaction with him, but they are in the minority.
I'll remember them all.
That said, no one person "keeps this forum alive". Without the rest of us responding to the "legends", there would be no forum. It's all of you that provide the vitality of this forum and keep it going. I salute you.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I agree with you wholeheartedly Mud.
Some if the guys I miss a lot but there is one that I don't miss at all....
Lost

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Trying to carefully choose my words here, but I will just say Ned was never nice or friendly to me from the day I joined this group until he left us.. he was actually quite the opposite, and threatened to sue me for disagreeing with him on here multiple times. Sounds like he was one of those guys who was a jerk until you talked to him off the net. Ned was very helpful with giving reloading information, but helpful isn't always appreciated when it is delivered with a lawsuit for "defamation" when you disagreed.

BT was an awesome guy, he was always willing to help and was always friendly and willing to fully explain what he was talking about. I miss him

·
Registered
117 Posts
First came in contact with Ned s and Joe S Clif, Ds . on the fuge in the good old days early 2000s before it imploded, Clif was always a wealth of common sense good sound info and Knowledge, Joe Ten GA Nut on the fuge back then was a staunch 10ga advocate, and was often up against the 10ga doubters who frequented the fuge at that time, and a wealth of info even back then. .
Ned got hounded out of the fuge, Ken admin i always felt just either gave up trying to defend ned or simply could not, because the baiting some of the membership on the fuge at that time gave NED S was virulent offensive and the pile on pack rat mentality, Ned just could not handle it. and i felt he never came across exactly how he meant to in the writen word, . I never met Ned Joe or clif. But Ned was if you took the time to look past the bluster, was a knowledgeable chap. but he lacked the finner points of etiquette and this was to some extent a shortcoming on the internet.
Another Reloader from the fuge and other sites back then, was JP, i never took conversation to PMs with JP, but he was Knowledgeable, and If i am remembering events corectly, he did talk with jeff hagar and on the idea of the terror choke build. The rest became A part of wildfowling history if you love terrors or not.
Many back then off the fuge and deep woods were interesting knowledgeable people, and i don't think we see quite the enthusiasm now for this aspect of shooting we saw back in the early days of the internet. Its all facebook now forums seem dead, This being about the only one left, the fuge is a shadow of its former self has been for 10 years at least, and not accesible to people outside of the states anymore. The scandinavian forums were good but again they drifted off. to a few facebook groups. I doubt we will se the flourish of knowledge shared back then again. YOMV. Tom

·
Administrator
43,319 Posts
Yes i was there on the fuge from the get go, saw it all and must admit i do not miss the fuge one bit , and the fuges decision to not alow membership from Europe rests my case perfectly.
tom - I see a lot of spam/scam coming from "Europe" IP's, not GB in particular but area countries. That may be why the broad brush approach. That said, what European countries other than England really have that many topic/interest users? Curious, open question. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really miss Joe and Chris, even miss reading Ned's post he was amusing to say the least, been over on the fuge for over 20 years and lurking here for years before I joined, the reloading forum on the fuge has picked up and full of very helpful guys now.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I haven't been on here in years. Shortly after bt passed away. Him and ned kept me coming back. I pretty much stopped testing loads. Found the loads that worked the way I wanted them to. Seasons around here have changed less birds. The last time I reloaded I didn't stop for a month and got a good supply. Covid almost killed me now I live on oxygen. Can't walk far. Life changes. There are still good guys on here that will help you.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts