Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in Outdoor News (MN) that the whitetail deer head was stolen last week. It was shot last fall by the Andrews kid in Iowa.

What on earth is this world comming too. :pissed:

·
Registered
19 Posts
read something the other day that said Cabelas in Kansas City has the real head and that the family of the boy who shot the deer has a couple of replicas

·
Registered
9 Posts
h2o------this was not the world record deer shot in Albia. The Iowa Archery Record was taken from Brian Andrews home in Independence Iowa a couple weeks ago then after a few following days the #10 Iowa Shotgun buck was taken from the owners home, his #10 was the only one taken and the theives left his sons mount right next to his so they knew waht they were after.....many do believe that they are connected because they were within 100 miles of each other i believe.

i will post some other info from a iowa whitetail site to give some pictures and info on where to contact if you see these deer mounts pop up cuz they could show up n e where! and the more eyes we have watching for them the better chance there is to find the scum that took these gigantic bucks from their rightful owners

p.s. The world record Lovsten buck was purchased by Bass Pro Shops from the lovsten family and yes they did have replicas that were traveling to shows while the real were locked in a bank vault until purchased. The real only came out to show once and that was in ankeny iowa before the world saw the harvest photos.......a lucky 5 thousand saw the massive buck and i was a lucky one to see him in person! :tounge:

·
Registered
9 Posts
the one on the left is the IOWA ARCHERY RECORD and the one on the left is #10 SHOTGUN IN IOWA

Record buck stolen from Independence teenager

By DAN HAUGEN, Courier Staff Writer

INDEPENDENCE --- The Buchanan County Sheriff's office is hunting for a thief who made off with a record-setting whitetail buck trophy over the weekend.

Brian Andrews was 16 when he broke the state nontypical bowhunting record last fall. He was about to show off his prize trophy to some fellow hunters Saturday when he discovered the full-head mount was missing.

"It's irreplaceable," Andrews said. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

Besides sentimental value, the trophy is likely worth several hundred thousand dollars.

Buchanan County Sheriff's deputy Jeff Coleman, who is investigating the burglary, said he is pursuing several leads. He declined to say whether the investigation is focusing on local or out-of-state suspects.

Andrews drew national attention from hunters' organizations when he shot the buck in November. The animal's antlers were eventually officially measured at 253 1/8 inches.

The boy's father, Randy Andrews, said bucks' antlers are like fingerprints, and they have plenty of photographs to identify the trophy.

"As a hunter myself," Coleman said, "if I saw that deer hanging anywhere I would know it was the Andrews' deer."

Coleman said a reward could be announced as soon as next week.

Trophy deer stolen

By MIKE AUGSPURER

for The Hawk Eye

Authorities are on the lookout for a record-setting deer with no legs.

They also believe the trophy deer mount taken from Jack Bell's living room in Des Moines County may be connected with the theft of another prized one taken about a week before in Buchanan County.

"I can't imagine they are not related," said Brett Grimshaw, an investigator for the Des Moines County Sheriff's Department.

Bell shot his deer in December 2002, when it was ranked as the fourth highest in the nation that year for a non-typical deer killed by a shotgun. The deer now is listed as the 10th all-time high shot in Iowa with a score of 2377?8.

Grimshaw said Bell's deer and the one taken from a home near Independence, roughly 140 miles from Burlington, were stolen within days of one another. Both mounts were taken during brief times when no one was in the homes.

The trophy in Independence was a non-typical deer killed last year with a bow by 16-year-old Brian Andrews. The animal's antlers had a score of 2531?8, which set a new state record in the category.

The two agencies have been comparing notes since Saturday's theft, Grimshaw said.

The thieves or thief apparently had a good idea when the households would be vacant "when someone could have gotten in and got the thing out of there," Grimshaw said.

Buchanan County Sheriff's Deputy Jeff Coleman also said it's coincidental that two deer racks that large have been taken within a week of each other.

At this point, however, Coleman said that's about the only thing that connects the two incidents.

"Everyday I come up with five more different leads on mine," he said, of his investigation. "It's just the process of elimination."

Some people are obsessed with antler records, Grimshaw said. Many believe such prizes are worth hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars as was the case of a deer recently killed near Albia. Authorities said such over-estimated values are not true - generally the once-in-a-lifetime trophies are worth more to the shooter than they would be on an open market.

Still, the hope of selling a trophy deer rack might entice would-be thieves.

"You can get on the Internet and there are chat rooms on these bucks," Grimshaw said. "It's a huge world out there. It's a huge obsession with some of these people."

The last theft of a deer rack in Des Moines County was a year ago, Grimshaw said. A 10-point rack was taken from a home on the north bottoms of the county and has not been recovered.

On New Year's Day, a 12-point buck shot in the 1970s was reported taken in Louisa County. Sheriff's Deputy James Clasen said Tuesday the rack wasn't a record, but the theft was reported the same day as were five other separate incidents. None have been found, he said.

Since February 2003, Bell's trophy had a cozy place on the living room wall of his home about a mile off Iowa 99 north of Burlington.

He didn't stalk the deer as many of the record-holders are doing these days, rather he happened up on him in a cornfield of an 80-acre farm he owns in the county.

"Either he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or I was in the right place at the right time," Bell said.

Bell was gone from 4 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday from his home and returned to find a broken window next to his front door. Nothing else was taken from the house, which was not ransacked.

Hunting for 36 years since he was 15, Bell said he always had hoped he shoot a record-setter.

"I never dreamed I'd kill one that big," he said.

Now, he hopes he'll see it again.

Anyone with any information on either theft can call the Des Moines County Sheriff's office at (319) 753-8212

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST JUST THAT WE NEED TO GET THIS SEEN TO KEEP OUR EYES PEALED FOR THESE 2 BUCKS!

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
I wonder who'll fall into this trap?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Does anyone have the ebay item number?
I know a guy who would buy it and then try to tell his friends that he shot it in the woods behind his house. :no:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Stealing is wrong.

258 points is a huge deer.

Having said that, I am not all that hung up on antler size. Sure, I would shoot the 14 pointer me and my neighbor keep seeing on our game cams. But I could care less if I never see him, he lives forever, or someone else shoots him. I like deer hunting, but I don't love deer hunting. From a shooting perspective, its not all that hard, compared to varmint hunting. The kill zone is huge.
I have never shot a bow, I am a gun hunter (nut!).

Deer's are not all that hard to hunt and shoot.

Coyotes are a whole different story. Second favorite hunting, only surpassed by water fowling.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
TomKat said:
StI like deer hunting, but I don't love deer hunting. From a shooting perspective, its not all that hard, compared to varmint hunting. The kill zone is huge.

Deer's are not all that hard to hunt and shoot.

Coyotes are a whole different story. Second favorite hunting, only surpassed by water fowling.
there is a vast difference between "hunting" and "shooting." Many who buy tags and go after deer have come to think that siting in a box blind with a rifle rest is hunting. It's not IMO. Actual big game hunting involves moving very quietly through the woods and mountains using your eyes, knowledge and judgement; reading sign, learning the areas they prefer at various times of day/year, how they react to weather, how they move from one area to another (favored trails or geography), and playing that all against the fickle wind. Knowing how to read a map, the weather, adjust to other hunters, to go after animals is far more hunting than sitting in a blind waiting to shoot.

Yes there are times and places where a blind or standing and watching are the right thing to do ... but baiting, use of blinds, and leasing has diminished the woodsman skills that are at the root of true hunting. Being as close to one with the outdoors (blending in and seeing it as they do) is very fun whether you actually get a shot or not. playing peek a boo with deer and elk ... being among them relatively unnoticed ... is fun. Passing on poor shots when the vitals are screened by brush or other animals is part of the deal. In real hunting you don't often have statues standing in the open all that often...at least not the bucks (unless it's the rut).

Duck hunting is different; blinds are a necessity unless your only option is jump shooting. Still, actual hunting and scouting is the same as with big game in general.

BTW: IMO it is unethical to shoot whistle pigs or any animal you do not eat or harvest something from...unless there is a good biologically sound reason for it ... like killing non-native detrimental invasive species like feral cats/pigs/starlings.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Real hunters kill only with flint-knapped spears, hunting as nomads, without the crutch of "scouting". Anything else is just Yankee gay. And that specifically includes gun and bow hunters.

And killing non-edible animals is good practice for the real thing. Ever go face to face with a cornered whistlepig, armed only with a sharp rock?

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
I'm holding it for ransom. Here's your proof of life

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts