Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
The birds have just not come down yet.

If the numbers are THAT low...to where we are seeing no birds...then we are in deep doo doo and emerigency measures would be taken. There is no way the counts would be that far off...and if they were, as I said, emergency measures would be taken.

Relax....duck season is just fixin' to start, boys!

Jeff Given

·
Registered
821 Posts
KO said:
well to you guys who think the birds are yet to come, think about this

Nesting success in 1955 for ducks was 21%
Nesting success in 1972 dropped to 15%
Nesting success in 1992 dropped to 10%

see a trend?

Assuming the trend continues and with the loss of habitat to agriculture and predators having an easier time finding the nest in this shrinking enviroment, there is no reason to believe it hasn't. The nesting success now is in all probability in single digits.

Now consider that a minimum of 12 to 20% is needed to make any increase in the population.

Now consider a long season with high limits and a low nest success rate....Do you really believe that we are now not shooting our base/breeding population......

All I can say is this: Wake up or enjoy your seasons now because the end is coming
Do you honestly think that the liberal wienies are going to allow hunters to over shoot the duck population causing its demise?

I cannot even fathom the idea of that, to me, it is ludicrus and obsurd. If the duck counts are drastically down, you had better believe your/our limits will be down as well; as they have no problems cutting our limits and/or season short. It was not too long ago that the limit was 4 hinting that duck counts are up.

If you are not going to be shooting ducks anymore...care to make me a deal on your shotgun? ;)

I hope that this message does not make me sound like an ******...it is not my intent.

Jeff Given

·
Registered
821 Posts
KO said:
Unfortunately yes I do...When a top bbiologist said the day is coming when we wil always have ducks to look at, but not to hunt...and I see the change....yes I believe it...........And part of the problem is hunters are to trusting to raise any stink....
I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Cheers.

Jeff Given

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.