Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody don't mean to be a complainer but the other day I went hunting at a marsh that is half public and half private got there early and set up (on the private side) the owner is a friend of mine. 10 min. before shooting time this 50,000$ SUV pulls up in the public area part and about 6 guys get out and start throwing out dekes after driving though a private feild so that they save a 100 yd walk making lots of noise too. They get all set up with brand new everything ducks flaring away everwhere, anyway they finally get all set and sit down and are quiet. Aflight of teal comes straight to my decoys as i knew the best place to set up and just as their coming in this guy stands up out of his blind and looks right at me and emptys his shotgun into the air and they are all laughing. I was pretty mad but I just got my stuff togather and went home. I still can't beleive that it happened but I did drive by on my way out and write down their license plate # just in case... Any opinions on what I should have done? They were not local people and I usually never have problems with anybody from anywhere. I was wondering about even putting this on here as it makes us all look bad :pissed: :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I am sorry to hear that, I hate people that do that, :pissed: they must think it is fun to make themselves look like retards. I think you did the right thing. I don't think I could sit there and let them do that, I would have did the same thing. Some people ruin it for the rest of us. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
450 Posts
you did the right thing. that is crazy what they did though. obviously they were pissed that you were a better hunter than they were. at least you can feel good about that. :thumbsup:

had

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Did they have permission to drive through that field? See if the farmer will pursue tresspassing charges if they didn't. We have this happen way too much on our public marsh here. I have yet to find a good solution. They don't know much about duck hunting (shooting at ducks coming into our dekes, taking 60+ yard shots, etc). I have had more than one hunt ruined this wayMost of them come from two counties in our state. If anybody comes up with a good solution let me know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had a few encounters with brickhead, numbskull, foolish idiots, bloody bastards like that in my days as well. You definitely did the right thing on this occasion. I couldn't tolerate an event like that even in my worse nightmare. The marsh is no place to get in a boxing match, especially with your 3 shells versus their 18. I can remember a time I hunted state land in 1981, I arrived at approximately 4AM, legal shooting was at 7:15. I was all set by 5:10, then sat around watching the stars, searching for pegasus, little dipper, etc., and searching for stars to name myself. Anyways, 2 morons came trottin along @ 7:05, tossed out a dozen decoys, and post up 30 yrds from my location. I was screaming from the bottom of my lungs inside. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this person would fall in the water and retreat home, it didn't hapen. I tried to make the best out of the situation as I noticed the so-called "hunter" brought a young boy on this trip. I figured this person is a rookie and doesn't know any better. For the sake of the boy I kept my mouth closed. I certainly would have had a nice chat with the man if he wasn't. They attempted to shoot at every bird under the sun even while I was talking to ducks working my spread. After an hour I couldn't take it and packed up. It is unfortunate that this population of no common sense people attempt to hunt. You could have taken license number. Though it would probably be on the county prosecutor's negative 100 to do list.

·
Registered
70 Posts
in indiana you can drop a line to the local conservation officer with the license plate number....they don't want you to confront them in the field....every one with guns fighting.....bad deal.....the conservation officers will prosecute tresspassers as well as pay a visit to idiots....

the conservation officers are the equivilant of game wardens.....if anything tell them where it happened....they may observe what goes on next time

good luck

·
Registered
212 Posts
i would notify the land owner and see if he would persue trespassing charges and then i would turn them in to your local DNR or CO for hunter harrasment charges if they really did shoot and laugh about it.....you did the right thing though by walkin away.

·
Registered
119 Posts
And everyone asks me why I carry a pistol when I am bird hunting? Well its because of idiots like this. I dont start the brawl but I have been involved in hunters purposely raining pellets down on me. A cell phone is also handy if you have coverage. Get the warden or sheriff out there right away to deal with it.

I like you idea though. To walk away. I also try to avoid confrontation but sometimes it finds you without asking. The worst I have experienced was a guide that was hunting public land. He thouth he had more rights than me to hunt this island and threated to bring his boys over to prove it. After I stood up and accidentally displayed the pistol on my side, he quickly decided to go the other way. I then turned him in to the fish and game because I knew his name. Have not seen him since but I am sure he is still out there claiming public land as his.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A cell phone works wonders. They would undoubtedly have waited you out. But if your hunt was ruined call the state police on the trespassing issue from the blind and let them deal with the idiots. Maybe the land owner will give you permission also for keeping an eye on his land

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea last season I had a couple of trucks drive in and bring out like 6 dekes. them dumb cityits. they startes shootin at stuff about 50 yrds up there. i was laughin until i had a flock come up from right behind me. had them fold them wings and there they go them stupid cityits were at it again about 120 yards on the other corner of the field shottin away. didnt have a chance them things flew outta here like i didnt even know they were comin. I yelled some bad words at them stupid people and set off a couple of m 80 shotgun shells can find 'em at local gun shows and the like. those shells sound like cannon, i touched 2 of em off and left. i bet that shut em up. i didnt bother with their license plates i knew who they were. ive had trouble with them before. i delt with it before and wasnt even gonna bother with the whole license plate stuff again. but you made a good choice, firing off m 80 shotgun shells on my part wasnt very smart lol. :toofunny:

Edited by 98ramtough for language reasons.

Edited even more by Admin2

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
All states have variuos tresspass laws-so local laws are different in each. I personally like TX tresspass law-you can kill somebody and they will not prosecute you. For some reason there is hardly any problems with tresspassing in TX, I wonder why? :laughing:

And some states have laws regarding no interfearance with a hunter, basically meant for an antihunter harasssing a hunter, but it can also be used when "hunters" are screwing up another hunt too.

As mentioned by others, it is best to call 911 and get a hold of the CO or sheriff.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I saw our federal conservation officer for this area the other day and stopped to talk. He gave me his phone #s work and personal and he said he's already busted these guys about 4 times when I gave him the lisence plate #. Shooting over their limit,using lead shot, no plugs in their guns, and shooting at non-game species. He said these were all on seperate occasions and that if I even see them hunting or looking like they're going hunting to give him a call as he wants to keep an eye on them. I really wouldn't want to be in their shoes when he catches up to them again. I kinda got the idea that they have been a real pain in the rear and everybodys tired of it around here,some people just never learn .

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Way to go duckplayer. I hope these guys get slapped with a HUGE fine and quit hunting. I hate people like this, it gives hunters in general a bad name. 99% of hunters are great guys and spend much more time preparing and bettering the area for hunting than actually killing birds. I never liked hunting with people who were all about killing, its just not what its about.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You guys are letting these people walk all over you. I aint givin up a spot to nobody because of crowding or intimidation. Aint gonna happen. I can get along with most anyone, BUT these kinds of tactics wont be tolerated or surrendered to. Bow up and stand you're ground. People do this just to run you off. Most times they're late as well. Come draggin up at daylight, all in a big fizz, and expect you to bow out and let them have your hole, or at least shoot your swings. If it comes to a pizzin match, most likely I can spook birds as long as they can. I'll do it all day long if I have to, to make my point as well, especially if I am by myself(ie. aint hunting with my kids)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.