Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went goose hunting this morning snuck up on some snow's and dumped two at about fifty yard's out. Rotten bird's fell on a big chunk of ice, sent my lab for them he got to the ice, got up on it, busted back through, had a hard time getting out of the ice trap. He wanted them bird's bad but I got him called back. Them two bird's can float to the other side of the slough, they aint worth losing a dog over. I felt terrible for sending him after them, for a while I did'nt know if he was going to get back out of the ice. I was starting to strip some clothe's off to go get him, the water was about belly button depth and all I had was hip boot's. Never again will I send him on ice that I question even a little bit. His drive to get bird's is so strong it almost got the best of him, and I don't think I would be able to go home and face the kid's if something happened to him.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Glad everything turned out ok. Let it be just a wake up call that its not worth the dog getting hurt over some birds. Alot have done it thank goodess yall both are ok. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Glad to here you got the dog out of a bad situation and learned from it. Hope that others reading your post learn as well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Glad you got your pup out. My rule of thumb is if I wouldn't walk out personally to get the bird on the ice, my pup won't go on it either. Any good dog will risk his life getting sent after a bird, its up to the owner/hunter/handler to protect them. Lesson learned- glad you got your pup back man!

Mike

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's some pretty scary stuff, glad everyone was o.k. my dog fell off a 50 ft. embankment into a river thought he was a gonner , a few scrapes, very lucky, i think my heart skipped a beat as did you guys i bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.