Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and need some help.
I am thinking of taking up duck hunting and need to know a few things.
What is the best shotgun for the money? What guage?
I own an 11-87 sporting clays already but do I need another gun to hunt with. Do you have to use a dog? Like I said this is all new to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
290 Posts
yeah i agree for the money get a nova 3 1/2 or a Remington 870, if you wanna spend money ona semi auto i would go with the winchester super x2 3 1/2. I dont have adog but they do help, without one it is just alot more work, not that bad. You can get greenhead gear decoys for 25 a dozen as well and I like them they seem to hold the paint very well. Good luck and tell us what you decide. :welcome:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the site. i've been hunting ducks for about 15 yrs. the first 6 without a dog, did'nt seem to bad, that is until i got a dog and realized how
much more i enjoyed the sport and how easy they made it. If you have a place to keep one and the time to spend with it i would invest in one, you wont be sorry, besides you'll never have to duck hunt alone again.
As far as a shotgun goes i shoot a winchester 1300 pump and stoeger auto
both work great, Good luck !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a "3 chamber on your clays gun? If you do, then use that gun with the modified choke. If you need a new firearm, I'd go with another 11-87 with a "3 1/2 chamber. As far as dogs & other equipment go, I think I'd wait & see just how well you like the sport. Try it for a season or two before you start to invest big money, duck hunting is kind of a love it or hate it sport because of the early hours & the equipment needed. I should know.....I'v been play'n the game for 33 years!

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
An 870 is the best damn pump gun ever made period. Can pick up a black synthetic one at walmart for under $300. Novas are good for rattling deer, and breaking down. As for 3" or 3.5". Go for 3". You do not need a 3.5" shell for duck hunting or goose hunting for that matter. I shoot mostly 2 3/4" steel shot and it kills them deader than heck. Sounds like you shoot some clays, so 2 3/4" shells would suit you just fine inside of 25 yards. After that I would go for a 3" shell out to 40 yards. Same thing on geese. The 3.5 inch gun is like a 10 gauge round, and isn't needed for duck hunting.

Oh yeah, Dick's sporting goods has Stoeger Model 2000 semi autos for $399. Uses Benelli's inertia recoil like is in the super black eagle. If you were thinking about a Nova, then spend the extra $50-75 and get a semi auto.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
:welcome: to start with i wouldnt sink a whole lot of money into it yet. see what you tink about it first. I got a mossburg 500 with 3" chamber for under $200 last year, when i 1st started. It will work till i got more money to invest in a permanent gun. Plus you can start with the GHG hot buys at Cabelas for like $20 or $25 a dozen. Thats what i have. Also a dog is useful, especially when the water is FREEZING and it tends to be like that in the middle of winter, but if you have a boat or canoe or something you could probably make that work too. I personally do not have a dog but mainly hunt with my cousin(s) who do(es) so i dont have to worry about that yet. THats for after i have the equipment bought. another top priority will be the shells. at ducks i shoot 3" shells and mainly #2 or #4. last year i would buy the cheapest box i could find of those sizes and it seemed to work fine for me. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

·
Registered
375 Posts
arjudy, :welcome:
Glad to hear that your thinking about becoming a waterfowler!! You'll be fine shooting your 11-87 until you decide that duck hunting is for you. As far as best gun for the money, it's all relative to your shooting style. With that being said if you indeed love the sport as much as the rest of us (which I hope you do), I would start looking for a new auto-loader. There are plenty of good deals out there for first time auto shooters. A few months ago I purchased a Beretta 390 NIB for under $500 w/ 3 choke tubes & hardcase from Galyans. So far it has outperformed my buddies $1200 Super Black Eagle. I love my Beretta!!
:welcome:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome to this great site. This is my first year of waterfowling and I have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE it! However I am one of those crazy people that like early mornings and crummy weather. I did it the opposite of other people. I bought the dog first then worked from there :mrgreen: . After this season I will be purchasing a new shotgun, my cheap cheap cheap shutgun works fine I just want something different. Anyhow good luck to you and if you a nut like the rest of us here you will enjoy the sport a bunch.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
welcome....as you can see EVERY waterfowler has an opinion on guns....and I for one am no different, except my way to have different opinions is to have multiple guns....however, it is my feeling that you cannot beat a pump action gun for reliability, durability and overall functionability.......I use pumps, autos and O/U's....depends on the needs of that hunt or my feelings that day....but either way, as a clays shooter you know....fit is most important of all.....and my personal feeling is cost doesn't mean a whole lot either and I have quite a range....from $150 to $1,000, but remember, it does not take an expensive gun to take ducks and geese, just a good shooter

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 1st season duck hunting and I hunt with a guy thats been duck hunting for over 25 yrs.Its been a great learning expierance for a 1st timer.I suggest going with a veteran so they can show you the rights & wrongs and to see if your going to like it because it is alott more work than any other type hunting I've done ( and I'm hooked)
Anyhow my waterfowl gun that I purchased was a Benneli Nova in Camo
and it has performed without failure and is very rugged waterproof shotgun for steelshot and or hevi-shot if you can afford $2 plus a shell.
It shoulders fast and aims well( it must fit you) and recoil with 3.5 is not that bad....but I never notice recoil when I'm shooting at game anyhow.
I did install the optional recoil reducer Benneli offers so it probably helps.
The rattle on the foregrip doesnt really matter because every pump gun rattles alittle...some less than others.
I used it for upland hunting while back on opening day pheasant season and bagged a pheasant and then nailed 2 qual with 1 shot.
Only bad thing about the Nova for Upland game hunting is the weight, it gets heavy carrying this cannon for miles.
Have fun..be safe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.