Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was killing a little time today while out sick with the crud and was browsing ebay for duck related stuff when I came across this...

UNREPORTED-US-FISH-GAME-MALLARD-DUCK-BAND-GOOSE

Not necessarily wanting to discuss the fact that you are a wannabe for buying these but more so curious on thoughts about screwing up data for biologists. While its only 6 bands here, I did a quick search and there were a good number of unreported bands for sale in the last several months. The likelihood of the loser purchasing these reporting them as being harvested in the correct area is slim.

Makes you really wonder about how the person that is selling them obtained them as well. Seems like maybe the feds would want to crack down on this? Anyway, just curious about y'alls take.

Brad

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wow. I can't beleive that. Why would someone want to do that?
15 bidders! It just doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I've lost more bands on lanyards than most people ever shoot. I've always been lucky with them I suppose.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started looking around after I posted it. That particular gentleman has 30+ unreported for sale right now. Something about that seems just a bit fishy. Coming from a biologist background with a fisheries and wildlife degree that really just pisses me off. Anyway, after about 15 minutes of getting routed around the USFWS offices I spoke with the NJ enforcement division who thanked me and said they will look into it.

Brad

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Not being accusational, but based upon some of the run in's I've had and heard other people having with game wardens, those bands could possibly be for sale by an unscrupulous warden.

Just the other day on another thread someone wrote about a game warden confiscating birds, including bands, while writing them up on a trumped up charge.

One would hope for much better actions from law enforcement and most of the wardens I've been checked by would never do something like this...however I have run into one or two that probably would.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
apexhunter said:
Not being accusational, but based upon some of the run in's I've had and heard other people having with game wardens, those bands could possibly be for sale by an unscrupulous warden.

Just the other day on another thread someone wrote about a game warden confiscating birds, including bands, while writing them up on a trumped up charge.

One would hope for much better actions from law enforcement and most of the wardens I've been checked by would never do something like this...however I have run into one or two that probably would.
That crossed my mind as well as someone of the same character working at a refuge, thats why I went ahead and called. If they're legit, no harm done. In all likelihood, its some guide who claims all bands in the blind.

Brad

·
Registered
991 Posts
During my summer internship with the VA game and inland fisheries we had done some goose banding. we had some volunteeers help us. I can totally see how some bands can be lifted of obsconded with. It was totally a relaxed atmosphere when doing this. sometime the land owners would help too. So there is a couple of ways these HOT bands get out there.

Now during the banding process the bands put on birds were recorded and the rest were not, left for the next year. I guess what i'm saying is that bands that aren't on birds prolly aren't recorded. you could prolly try by calling in one of the bands and see if there is a record for it.( prolly not, cause it wasn't put on a bird). Why would there be a record for a band that is not on a bird?

These are for the posers and people who wish they shoot banded birds. Fake jewery!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pillowcasr said:
During my summer internship with the VA game and inland fisheries we had done some goose banding. we had some volunteeers help us. I can totally see how some bands can be lifted of obsconded with. It was totally a relaxed atmosphere when doing this. sometime the land owners would help too. So there is a couple of ways these HOT bands get out there.

Now during the banding process the bands put on birds were recorded and the rest were not, left for the next year. I guess what i'm saying is that bands that aren't on birds prolly aren't recorded. you could prolly try by calling in one of the bands and see if there is a record for it.( prolly not, cause it wasn't put on a bird). Why would there be a record for a band that is not on a bird?

These are for the posers and people who wish they shoot banded birds. Fake jewery!
Of course it could still be fake, but here's what the guy says in his auction...

100 % GUARANTEED UNREPORTED, ALL BIRDS FRESH KILLS

NO FAKES, JUNK OR REPRODUCTIONS. GENUINE BNDS

SIZE 8 GIANT CANADA GEESE LAST FEW GOOSE BAND LEFT

LAST CHANCE TO GET ONE IN YOUR NAME FOR THIS SEASON OR YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR

ALL BANDS TAKEN THIS YEAR DURING THE 2007/ 2008 WATERFOWL SEASON

ALL BANDS HAVE NORMAL DUCK WEAR AND HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM DUCKS.
Also they aren't consecutive numbers. He blanks out the last 4 so someone can't call it in from ebay.

Brad

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
those are gonna end up on some doctor or lawyers call lanyard and are gonna end up coming from 1 of his many trips to argentina or canada. he's gonna claim them so that he appears to be an accomplished hunter. this is rediculous. bands are put on birds for a reason and i really dont think a real duck hunter would sell these nor would they buy them. this guy should be burned!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Personally I think this guy diserves an butt kickin, even if i he is a guide, way to fudge it all up for research and guys like me. Thing that gets me about duck hunting, and from time to time life in general. I dream (literally) of duck hunting, shoting rare birds, shoting banded ducks, etc night after night, all year long. I scout year around, I work on my boat, save scrap wood from dumpsters for blinds, buy used decoys to repair and repaint since I dont got the coin for new ones, the list goes on. And just to see somebody who has so much of something I desprately want so much and have worked my butt off for, and am yet to be rewarded, and they just throw it around as if they dont care, or care only about the money and nothing else. Mess like that, if you let it get to you, will make ya fightin mad and your blood boil.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
and if this guy is a guide why does he get all the bands? if i were to ever pay a guide and shoot a banded bird, he aint gettin the band!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts