Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i need some advice. My Chessie went missing a couple weeks ago and when he returned his right rear leg had a compund frature. the vet was unable to save the leg and had to amputate it. he is 3 1/2 yrs old. I am wondering if anyone else has had an expierience with a 3 legged retriver and how their quality of life was affected. I am concerned because he was a great swimmer and an amazing diver/jumper. Is there anything i can do to keep him from becoming depressed?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm no Vet, but I'd say treat you're dog like normal. Have fun rehabilitating him. Let him know you don't mind his little inconvenience. Its a great challenge for the both of you. The glass is half full

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks for the advice guys! he seems to be doing well. it has been 2 weeks since the operation and i have started doing some small retrieves !! as soon as the stapels come out we may try swimming. any thoughts on using a vest on him?? he has never had one before.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A vest might be a great idea. One of the ones with the extra neoprene for more floatation. That might take a little stress off of him.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Man, I am truly sorry to hear about yer pup.....

But like everyone else said..... Treat him normal. Take him for walks, and swim (the vest is a great idea :thumbsup: ).

Just make sure He knows that y'all are still there for him, and he should be a happy pup :salude:

-Stouff

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
http://www.uklabs.com/annual_british_test_2005.html

I ran my Boykin in a British Working Test this year at Wildrose Kennels in Oxford, MS. There was a three legged lab that amazed me there. Go to the link above and read the article. The dog took the gunners award. He had heart, and everyone was so impressed. He never quit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sorry to here about your dog just to let you know I seen a dog on waterdog TV show it was a lab that had 3 legs and the back one was missing and hunted just fine he also got his master hunter pass!! so i would say just have confidence in your dog and tack it slow.

Hoop all works out for you and your dog

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there-Returned from field training and saw your post. My dog Cole at one year broke the invisible fence and was hit by a garbage truck. Lost his front right leg. He is a year and a half now and able to swim without a vest and run faster than most. It was a two week recovery and then he brought a toy to us letting us know he was ready to be a dog again. He had his CD and CGC and was winning in the conformation ring prior to the accident. An amazing all rounder. It was a hoorrible accident but we are making the best of it. I still have a very complete dog who enriches my life. He is now getting ready for a JH and he participated in a WC two weeks ago. The trick is to keep the weight down and conditioning. Good Luck with your special dog. Try to not feel guilty and enjoy working with your partner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you so much for the encouragements!!! i havwe been working with him and although he is older i would like to see him get his JH it is good to know it is still possible !!! thanks again guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.