Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new to this waterfoul hunting thing and i need some help and tips on how to hunt some public river bottom. i never seem to be able to pull anything in usually its just people shooting around me any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
The best river hunting I ever had we didn't even use decoys. Everyone around us was shooting so much that we just picked a point and waited for them to scare the ducks at us. Heck, they were so happy NOT to see decoys that some even cupped in close to where we were.

I guess that scenario works well with a lot of hunting pressure. Otherwise maybe just lay off the calls and pray they come in. On more than one occasion not calling has worked better than trying to upshow the fellows hunting next to me.

Just my $0.02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
if the people around you are using alot of dekes, try down sizing to 6 or less.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When hunting heavily pressured areas, we usually make our spread unique. If most people are hunting over 3-5 dozen dekes, we'll put out 10-20 dozen. If the ducks start to become really decoy shy, we will sometimes go down to as little as 6 dekes. At the end of the day, it's still about location, location, location.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The only other real advice I could give you is get there early enough to beat every body else. There was more than a couple of times last year that I had a good hunt cause I got to the good spot at like 4 in the morning and once or twice I beat people there by only 5-10 min. So like I said befor get there early, cause eairly bird get the worm :yes:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with Duckhunter16. I have been known to hike out while it is still light the night before to camp and get the good spot for the next morning. They look at ya wierd when they are coming back and you are going out, but that is part of the game.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Goin' in the night before is kinda crazy or dead nuts serious. But whatever it takes I guess.

·
Registered
142 Posts
maybe you could spend a day out on the river just watchin, see where the other guys are set up and how there doing it , take your binoculars, ...........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scout out the area, find exactly where you want to hunt in the morn, and make sure to get there plenty early. Also make sure there are at least a few birds in the area. You don't want to compete with all those other hunters just for one or two birds. From my expierience I would only hunt with a dozen decoys. Unless it is the beginning of the season, the ducks are very decoy shy. On some occasions I have even hunted on the opposite side of my decoys. That way when the ducks skirt the outside of your spread, you will have a prime shot at them. And last but not least, remember to let the ducks work. Don't over call when they're a mile high, and don't shoot until they are in range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts