Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as many of you may kno we have coyotes in nc but tryin to shoot them on nc game lands out side of big game season is a problem.... as the law states in the wildlife book you can not pocess a centerfire rifle on nc gamelands out side of big game season so i am tryin to decide what rifle to buy i have heard alot of poeple talk bad things about the 17 hmr so think that may be out of the picture so what would be the next idea 22 mag perhaps?? thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Any of the small bore centerfires woudl work great. 223,222,22-250, 204 in no particular order. There are some others that were once considers wildcats but are gaining popularity. heck all fo this except the 223 and 204 were once wildcat cartridges. Remington is bringing bac the 17 fireball round again. That shoudl be a blazing lil cartridge.

As for the laws, i wouldnt take a centerfire on game lands anyways. That law could be enforced pretty easily. Even if you had a good reason to have it. I have a 17 HMR and woudl not have a problem with Yote hunting with it. I wouldnt push the range of it past 200 yards. And even then unless you hit them int eh head/neck it would not be an instant kill.

I have made shots on nutria and muskrat with mine at decent ranges (70-80 yard max) and the 17 HMR has an explosive expansion out to 100 yds. I do nto knwo how much energy it retains past that however. The main problem is wind drift. That small round will drift a large amount with a cross wind.

But no matter how you looka t it, it will be more accurate and offer more expansion and wound tracts that any 22 IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.