Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
There are MANY arguments on both sides of this issue.
To me, it's a personal choice and doesn't have any effect on the dog as long as they're fully grown.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Call 4 vets. ask your question. post a reply. I'm a 6th generation dog breeder and I have researched that question. My dogs and their hunting ability put food in my freezer and money in my bank. Every pup I sell is fixed. ( that's not why their fixed I have other reasons) I have a waiting list for my pups. I know that a lot of people think that its detrimental to hunting ability. Some people also want to blame that operation for a dog that has a lousy nose or doesn't hunt. I have never known that to be the case. A dogs ability is directly related to its training and genetics. Most dogs that don't perform do so because they were not trained properly or from shakey genetic background.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
Don Taylor said it all.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just passing on wives tales. My two favorites are:

The dog (male or female) will lose drive. I am only 47 years old, but I have never seen it first hand. It is always third or fourth hand rumor.

The dog will put on weight. Young dogs and young hunters are rarely overweight. We (hunters and dogs) put on weight because we eat too much and exercise too little. I'm living proof, and I am not fixed, though manipulated to prevent unwanted breeding.

I don't know Don or any other breeder personally so I am not shilling for anyone, but my Grandfather passed on some sage advice to me many years ago and it is - "If you want another dog like your favorite, don't try to do it yourself, just go back to the breeder who provided your favorite dog."

I have followed this advice and it works every time. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.