Duck Hunting Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
cooter,

a lot of it has to do with the driver as well. most people think the horses under the hood are what gets you out of the mud and that's just not the case. you put any truck on the frame and it's stuck, no matter who made it. not taking anything away from the toyotas because they are good trucks, but you can stick one of those just as easily. as far as pulling people out, i love it too. it gives me a stupid sense of pride and all that just tickles me. just so you know, i have pulled more than one toyota out of our swamp with my z71! :smile:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I hat toyotas those things are tiny! IMO i would get a ford. (best there is), but out of the 2 choices, chevy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a '99 Chevy Z71 extended cab. I bought it brand new in March '99, and currently have 99,500 miles on it. I've had a few problems with frontend parts wearing out quickly, but thats the fault of my suspension lift and big tires... but that comes with the territory, its definitely not Chevy's fault. I love my truck, and my next truck will likely be a Chevy too. :mrgreen:

However, Toyota makes some high quality products. My dad is big Toyota fan, having owned a Camry and Avalon in the past, and currently has a 4Runner. They've all been great, reliable vehicle.

I personally wouldnt own a Toyota pickup because I prefer Chevy trucks, but would seriously consider a Toyota if I was looking for a car or SUV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got A toyota T100 and love it. Im not going to lie and say its never been stuck, becuase after a while every truck gets stuck. It dont matter who you are or how big your truck is, or how much horsepower you got. All that matters is that you know your trucks capabilities. I have pulled full size trucks out. You name it, I have hooked up to them. They have pulled me out to. Any stock truck will go where you want it, as long as it isnt through the biggest mud hole you can find. In this case both are great trucks. I would take either, but since I drive a Toyota I am going to have to say get a toyota. However which ever you choose, you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have had an f150, toyota tacoma and a chevy subruban (I know its not a Z71)

Tacoma - Bullitt Proff. I tore the hell out of mine. A tree finally took it out. It had about 150000 miles on it in 4 years. My friend has a 4 runner and he doesn't believe in maintenance and he has out in 230000 miles on his in I think 5 years. (We drive a whole lot) If you want to pull more than say 4000 pounds in a hilly environment I probably wouldnt buy one. 17 mpg on bfgood tko's Not much interior room!!! Heaters great and so is ac

F150 Great truck lots of low end torque. 5.4 4x4 extra cab gets about 13 average. Good payload and good pulling power. I took it thru alot of stuff to. I put 37000 miles on it in a year. Lots of room inside. Heaters great and so is ac.

Suburban I had the 5.7 and the 5.3. STAY AWAY FROM THE 5.3. No low end torque. 5.7 is great. Heater takes for ever to warmup. Had to rely on heated seats for the first 30 mins. I really didnt take if off road to much but it did pretty good. It also pulls nice.

I have a ford ranger and its forsale!!! Anyone interested???

THis is only my 2 cents. I do favor certain brands HOW EVER I choose my vehicle by what I am going to do with it. Pulling power (speaking about the 1/2 ton) Buy a ford. Cruising the city buy a chevy. For fun driving and offroading buy a toyota. As far as my next truck who knows. I want a power stroke. But I will probably buy a chevy because of the gas mileage. We will see when I finally decide. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Dad worked for, and retired from, Chrysler Corp. Brother-In-Law currently works for Ford. Ex-Brother-In-Law worked for Chevy. Up until about 3 years ago I got great deals from each of the Big 3. Now I will only ever buy a Chrysler or Ford product. Gotta keep the money in the family so to speak. If I were to buy a truck today it would be a Dakota 4x4. I like small trucks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
kcduckslayer said:
F150 Great truck lots of low end torque. 5.4 4x4 extra cab gets about 13 average. Good payload and good pulling power. I took it thru alot of stuff to. I put 37000 miles on it in a year. Lots of room inside. Heaters great and so is ac.
Agreed. As a Chevy guy, it pains me to admit this, but Ford did make an excellent truck in the '97-'03 F-150's. My little brother had a '99 F-150 extended cab 4x4 with the 5.4 V8, and it was a great truck. It pulled my dad's 18' Nitro bass boat like it wasnt even there. The only downside to it was that it seemed more thirsty than my Chevy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHEVROLET!!!! :yes:

I DRIVE A 95 CHEVY WHEN IT DUCK SEASON. ITS Z71 350 NO PROBLEM WITH POWER OR GETTING STUCK CHEVY SITS HIGHER OFF THE GROUND AND THEY MAKE YOU LOOK GOOD. I DRIVE A 04 CHEVY TO WORK AND BACK ITS ALSO Z71 AND IT DOES WONDERFUL ON GAS FOR A TRUCK OF ITS SIZE. LIKE THEY SAY SERIOUS BOYS DRIVE SERIOUS TOYS :yes: :getdown:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go Toyota, you will end up paying a little more but it's for a good reason. I think the Tacoma has been rated the #1 truck in its class for a long time now right. Power should not be a problem either because the Tacoma's are built lighter than Chevy's so the can crawl out of about anything. Very dependable I loved mine.

Duec
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
A good frend of mine has a toyota tacoma 2x4 with a v6. His gas milage is no better than the chevy v8 327 in a z71. Toyota does make a good truck that will last, but so does chevy. I had a 94 Z71 with 230,000 miles that still ran great. So I guess what i am trying to say is more power, more room, same milage.....go chevy!

By the way, I have owned them all and drive a dodge right now, so this is an impartial view.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.