Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, n00b here.

I was curious as to how many people here use trail cams to scout ducks? I use them extensively for deer and bears and such during the summer and just yesterday set one up to take pics of a pool I bird hunt hunt in. Though I have a lot of experience with using them on other critters, this is my first time trying them specifically on birds. This time I used some corn as an attractant (it's out of season here, of course), but I don't like doing that for deer and would like to move away from it in the future. I guess what I'm looking for is some pointers or tips from others that may have had success with using trail cams on ducks. Best way to camo them? Do you use them at night if they're of the flash variety? A search turned up little.

Also, if anyone else is doing this, do you have pics you can post?

I might have some results from my first experiment as soon as tomorrow, since this time I left the cam mere inches above the water line and it's forecasted to rain here tomorrow, so any tips I get could be put into action almost immediately.

Thanks

PICTURES MOVED TO THE FOLLOWING LINK-

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=58431

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Tangier Island Slacker said:
I left the cam mere inches above the water line and it's forecasted to rain here tomorrow, so any tips I get could be put into action almost immediately.

Thanks
If rain is forecast, and your camera is "inches above the water," you might want to make sure it doesn't get submerged or float away.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I tend to be a bit denser in the attic than most people, but I actually sit right out there in the bays, on the shoals, and in the swamps and marshes in the morning and the evening and take notice of the comings and goings of the ducks I'm after. I always thought trail cams were meant for nocturnal movements of animals.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Point on! I'm not knocking their use, sorry if it seemed that way. I don't hunt big game very often. Possible twice a year for deer and bears. so as I mentioned I always thought they were designed to monitor the nocturnal movements of animals, but they would definetely come in handy if you hunt far away. as would a wireless webcam.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've wondered how they'd work on ducks myself. I've never tried it, so I don't have any tips...But I know that some cameras, probably the higher-end ones, have infrared triggers that are calibrated to ignore lower body heat marsupials and such. I don't know if they'd capture an image of a duck. It may make your time better spent to read up on the specs of specific cameras. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live a short distance from most of my spots and scout them often, this just seems like another way to feed the addiction.

They'll get ducks, especially at close ranges. I capture squirrels and common birds all the time up to 20 yards away on certain cams when set at the highest sensitivity levels. The infrared cams do indeed save the scare of the flash, but the picture quality is generally pretty poor and blurring is a big problem with animals in motion.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Man the quality on those cameras just gets better and better. What kind of a delay are you setting in that then? I mean with that much activity you wouldn't want thousands of similar pictures.
-Erik

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've got the sensor on the lowest (least sensitive) setting with the delay at just one minute. Got 150 pics and 50 vid clips between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Only bad thing is that the ducks seem real scared of it, since when I went in there 50 or 60 got up off the water on the far northern end, and they are almost always at the far southern end (where my cam is located). It's also set up to take one-minute video clips, of which I'll post a few when I get a chance to go through them (gonna take a while).

In the future I'm going to brush in the cam setup and put it much higher so it can get birds that are farther away, because there's a ton of ducks on the far side of many of these pics but they're lost in the glare and the rocks. The corn is not needed, very few of the pics I got had birds feeding on it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts