Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions. Ok, a lot of question. I have a Two year old Black Lab mix. (Dega) What she is mixed with ...the vet can not even tell. She is a gun freak. If I do any kind of shooting she is running out in front of me looking for whatever it is she thinks she needs to be looking for. She works well for pheasant and has flushed a few birds for me. But I have the same problem that a few others have; she will not put the bird in her mouth. I have brought home a few ducks and tried to have her catch them. She shies away from them like she is not allowed to touch them. But she with catch a ball out of the air from 30 yards away. She will retrieve toys, sticks, balls from the water also. 1st, is she too old to work with? 2nd, I have an eight week old ACK Yellow lab (Indy...I know, I have a NASCAR problem) that is more than interested in the ducks. Can I work with both of them at the same time despite their ages, or work with them separately? I don't know if I have the time for that.

The black one also lacks that "second coat" and gets cold easy when wet and sitting still. I know I can get her a neoprene vest and all that, but I think I need to solve a few other problems first. She is in "play mode" all the time. She will nudge her snout against my leg and drop the tennis ball by my feet for an hour if I let her. I'm not sure how to make her think that playing with a bird is play/work time also. Those are not the terms I am looking for but lack the knowledge of how to put it.

Dega is also VERY attached to me and will barge in when I try to spend time with the pup. I can't even go hunting alone with out her sitting by the door whining the whole time, driving my wife nuts. I am not sure where to begin. I really do not want to give the pup up for training for a few weeks...If that is how it works. The pup is also a pet first, hunter second. Her mom is a great hunter and I would hate to see that wasted. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys...thanks for the replys. Trying to divide the time of training the pup and hunting is tough. I guess the ends will justify the means. Maybe the guys I duck hunt with will put up with me bringing the pup along on the hunt to get her used to it. They are the ones that will also ultimately benefit from the results. I am getting her to retrieve toys right now. I guess I should start using a duck wing next. I don't know. Thanks again!

· Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Steve. I was hoping to run into guys with dogs the first day of lake season so I could ask some questions about local training. Nope. None. Oh well, the season is still early. I am hoping that Canada has some crappy weather soon to drive the ducks down twords us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.