Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I should say hi, I'm thewife. Ive been lurking around here for a few days soaking up all your knowledge. You guys are a funny bunch!

The husband and I are in line for a toller, hopefully sometime in May. I'll be doing the training and I have been researching different programs. I prefer a book or workbook style. Initially I would need something for basic obedience, as I dont want to skip anything, then follow with a solid hunting dog training book. Is there a series out there that will cover all this? I prefer the book style because I want something I can bring out in the field with me for reference.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
First welcome aboard :thumbsup: and congratulations on your upcoming pup.

I have over time collected a number of books and training programs. I find each one fits a personal preference. I started with 10 Minute Retriever and then moved onto Lardy's program. 10 Minute Retriever is a standard that many people use. From reading on the site there are better programs directly related to the puppy skills - I choose to work with a professional trainer during the puppy phase. GHD would be able to give a good recommendation on the best program for puppy work.

For hunting dog training James B Spencer has a series of books that are well written and good reads. He is an entertaining writter that provides a why and what to watch out for in his explanations. I did not use his entry level books as we had moved past this phase. I have found "Retriever Training Tests" to be a good explanation for setting up drills, what to watch our for and why dogs have trouble with certain marks. His book on "Blind Retrieves" is good on casting skills and teaching blinds. We have just got his newest book "Retriever Hunt Tests" which is geared to handlers at hunt tests -- I will be reading this one on a March vacation.

I have also ordered form GHD Butch Goodwins - Training Retrievers from the Inside Out. This book came highly recommended and has a DVD. As I have not read it I can not provide a personal report . As I really like Butch's style of writting on the articles he has written for various retriever magazines this should be a good read.

You can check this site as most authors has some articles on it. Check to see the style that you like and get in touch with GHD on his ideas related to a puppy program.

http://www.carmodybuilders.com/retrieve ... 0info.html

Take care and post up a picture of your fluff ball when you get it.

Hugh

·
Registered
882 Posts
:welcome: to DHC.

Just like 2 tollers said call GHD.

For puppy work I would suggest Jackie Merten's Sound Beginnings. It will start you out at 7 weeks and take you up to more advanced stuff.

Once your done with that you might want to look into SmartWorks. Evan breaks things down to the point where even I could understand him. Mike Lardy also has a good program, Total Retriever Training. I just received it, and while I think the DVD's are great, only saw 1 out of 4 so far. I don't think that his books are as good as Evan's. It is not a setup where you could get by reading the books.

If you want a DVD, Fowl Dawgs is pretty good, and it's only $20. I have also heard good things about Farmer and Aycock's video, I think it's Retriever Training Basics. They also have a Problems and Solutions video that you may want later.

If you decide that you want to Force Fetch your dog down the road, look into SmartFetch. This is the only program that is dedicated to FF.

If you decide to get an e-collar at some point, Mike Lardy's Total E-Collar Conditioning. This will not only tell you about CC, but actually shows you the CC of a dog from start to finish.

I have all of these, except Farmer/Aycock, along with some others: Tri-Tronics Retriever Training, Top Dog, and 10 Minute Retriever. I have found these all to be very helpful sources, and keep looking for more.

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
When I started training my own dogs back in the mid 70's, I used Bill Tarrants "Hey pup, Fetch it up". I used it for years with good results.
When John and Amy Dahl released the "Ten Minute Retriever" I bought it immediately, read it through and took some of what Tarrant wrote and combined it with most of what the Dahl's wrote and trained Boomer with it. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.
I must agree with everything 2 Tollers and TC Farmer have said.
GHD has everything you'll need to train your dog with. Plus theres a discount in it for ya' being a member here at DHC ! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
42,466 Posts
thewife: I cannot add anything to all the great advice above but welcome to DHC!!!

What drove you to the Toller? I think we all agree it would be great to see more of 'em out there working! Plus...another DHC member with a Duck Toller won't make 2 Tollers seem so odd. :yes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were looking for a dog that isnt as dumb as the two mutts we have now are. Sweet girls, great with the kids and all, but the two together have half a brain.

I did a search for hunting dog breeds and whittled the list down given our needs for a smart, energetic dog that would be trainable. We are in Central New York so the dog had to be snow and cold tolerable. Checked out the parent site, contacted some breeders then drove to visit a local breeder with 3 tollers in house.

The rest is history, my oldest was shocked a dog would actually bring a bumper back to him.

·
Registered
279 Posts
thewife said:
I prefer a book or workbook style. Initially I would need something for basic obedience, as I dont want to skip anything, then follow with a solid hunting dog training book. Is there a series out there that will cover all this? I prefer the book style because I want something I can bring out in the field with me for reference.

Thanks guys!
Two items stand out to me in your stated interests/goals. A Workbook style, and a reference for you to take to the field. Smartwork for Retreivers has been suggested, and your statements make me think you should take a good look.

Our books are spiral bound, and in an 8 1/2 x 11 format much like a college lab text usually is. That also includes blank note pages everywhere there is a drill diagram to get your training journal started.

The covers are laminated card stock to protect it from the elements, so you can and are encouraged to take it to the field.

The system is a complete, detailed, and continguous system that can be augmented with highly detailed DVD modules that are aviable as you need them.

Goosehunterdog has the whole system, and offers great service. http://www.mclabstrainingsupplies.com/

EvanG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts