Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need to tap your expertise concerning my training with my 7 month old lab pup.

Here is the issue: I have the pup working great with the game of toss/retreive in a narrow section of my basement with one of her toys (a soft furry ball) but when I try and make a switch to the Dokken Mallard, training dummy, or any other "training" toys it completely changes her and she will no longer bring it back. Is this strange?

I "think" that the problem might be associated with the fact that I don't let her play with the Dokken and training dummies as toys so when she gets ahold of one she wants to hog it all for herself?!?!? Should I let her"play" with the training dummies so she is more used to them?

Thanks,

Duck Mann

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
absolutely not. the only thing you're going to do by allowing her to play with the dokkens is teach her it's ok to "play" with retrieving birds. it doesn't sound like she is ready yet. just keep working the bumpers, etc. until she is a little more mature. she shouldn't be able to make the decision of "bring it back or not". it takes time. if you want to work the dokkens then i would do it on a lead. when she picks it up and strays off course returning it, just guide her back to you. if she drops it, hold off altogether on retrieving the dokkens for the time being. hth!

·
Registered
572 Posts
duckman

I had the same problem with my pup. My first question is she still teething? It could be that her mouth is still sore and the softer play toy doesn't hurt her mouth like a harder bumper or dokken trainner does. If this is not the case then one thing that I did was I would tease my pup with a bumper and get her all excited then I would toss it out there and make a big commotion when she got to it. Then run around with her while she has it in her mouth so she feels that it is fun to go and get the bumper. The key is to make it as fun as possible. Keep in mind that I am nowhere near a pro trainer infact this is the first dog that I have ever trainned, but when I had this problem I asked a pro trainner and this is what they told me to do. I hope it works for you, good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
How big is the toy the dog is retrieving? How heavy? Most of my dogs toys are no where near the size or weight of the dokken mallard I have. Maybe try a slower transition into bigger retrieve objects. I know to get my dog fired up about retrieving bumpers I had to get canvas bumpers. For some reason she liked these better.

I would do what the others here suggested first and then try changing up the retrieve objects. Or use a combination of both.? Just remember you have a 7 month old puppy so you have plenty of time and there is also plenty of time to get the dog ready for next season.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Duckmann

Try using duck scent on her toy, and then after a week switch to her dokken (Injected with scent). This made for a very smooth transition on my dogs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All,

I wanted to say thank you for all of the great information. Great to know that I seem to have the same problems that others have encountered and that the solutions are fairly straight forward.

I have ordered some canvas bumpers and some duck scent and will make sure to follow the suggestions outlined in the posts. I have to make sure to continue to remind myself not to "rush" the training process in hopes of hitting this season with a pup that isn't quite ready. . . patience, patience, patience. . .

Again thanks for the great replys!

Duck Mann

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I believe your dog shoudl be through the teathing, but make sure. By making a dog retrieve when they are teething it hurts them. You don't want them to feel pain as they retrieve.

The puppy canvas bumpers should start her into the transistion. Don't kid yourself, that dog is not too young to do anything. 7 months is huntable for a dog. With that said, if your still just starting the retrieving it is Ok. Make sure OB training is down PAT then start her with retrieving puppy bumpers. If she still doesnt like that you might just leave her for a couple weeks and try again.

I have been lucky enough that my dogs were crazy about retreiving from the getgo. My female was retreiving duck wings at 8 weeks.

MIke

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Group,

Wanted to provide you with an update on my training.

Over the weekend I was able to work with the pup with my new canvas bumpers (size small) and duck scent that I ordered new from Cabelas. She worked great with the NEW bumper and scent (suggested on the forum) I was able to get her to return the bumper and give 90% of the time in the narrow training section of my basement. The small soft canvas seem much easier for her to handle (she is about 55 lbs) then the dokken or size large bumpers.

One thing is I had to cut the 8 inch piece of nylon rope off the bumper (I believe it assists in throwing) since pup kept carrying it by the rope . . . is this odd?

Saturday I introduced pup to decoys outside and she sniffed but could care less about picking up or playing with them. We went back and looked at them several times in the day and I only had to say no a total of four times. So encouraged, on Sunday I put pup on a 12 foot training cord and threw several of the canvas bumpers with the duck scent into the decoys. She was not as interested in returning (as in basement) so (as suggested on the forum) I ran and got pup excited and she followed and returned to hand about 50% of the time. The other 50% she would wander and have to be re-directed or would drop short and I would have to get her excited about picking it up and then re-direct her back to me.

I have also started firing my .22 at meal time (twice a day) to get the pup ready for gun fire so far she could care less about the blasts. Should I consider moving up to the 20 or 12 in the next few weeks?

I just wanted to check with the forum to see if I am on track?

Thanks again you guys have been great!

Duck Mann

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I wouldnt worry about swtiching to a shotgun immediately. Work on getting obedience down solid and get her to the point where she will retrieve that bumper outside. 55lbs is not that small for a female lab. My 55lb female can retrieve geese like its nothing, you just have to build thier confidence up to that.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's my two cents,for what it's worth.Like shrpshtr suggested,I'd put a lead on her,20 foot or longer when your outside.You don't have to throw it far.Call her in & pull the rope to you ,but don't drag her in.When she get's there,praise her real good.It worked for my pup,maybe it'll work for yours.Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.