Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lab just turned 11 months old on feb 20, and I have been working with him a little in the yard and he has even went hunting with me about 5 or 6 times this year and did great. I just didn't use hand signals. I know I really need to concentrate on O.B. bc he was kinda lacking in that area while we were hunting. And he didn't want to deliever back to hand. But he improved everytime we went.

Is it too late to start him on a training program like the Smarkwork Series? I really just need to get some direction to my training but I am afraid I waited too late to really start. Do I have a chance to correct my mistakes? Thanks for the help! Justin

·
Registered
701 Posts
It's never to late to start. I have a 4 year old German Wirehair Pointer that had no training at all until I got him 1 year ago and he is turning into a pretty good dog still. The longer you wait the more bad habits you will have to deal with.

I would highly suggest you get a program (i.e. Smartwork, Fowldawgs, etc.) and follow it. They sure make the training process a lot easier IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Showmetheducksmossyoak said:
My lab just turned 11 months old on feb 20, and I have been working with him a little in the yard and he has even went hunting with me about 5 or 6 times this year and did great. I just didn't use hand signals. I know I really need to concentrate on O.B. bc he was kinda lacking in that area while we were hunting. And he didn't want to deliever back to hand. But he improved everytime we went.

Is it too late to start him on a training program like the Smarkwork Series? I really just need to get some direction to my training but I am afraid I waited too late to really start. Do I have a chance to correct my mistakes? Thanks for the help! Justin
As a pro trainer, I was brought quite a number of dogs to start training on that were much older than your dog. Actually, in decades past it was common practice not to even start training retrievers until they were a year old. Much of that was because the methods were a bit more high pressure than the more refined programs of today.

You are wise to seek a detailed, sequential method for doing it. Your dog has 11 months of habits, some of which will tend to work against the new behaviors, and the high standards he will need to be the best he can be. A step by step approach will make it easier for him to accept and adapt.

Take a look at our website for the books and DVD's of our program, plus articles and services that can help you along. Please let me know if I can be of service.

Good luck,

EvanG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts