Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is getting a weimaraner and he wants to know what direction he should go with training....I am not all that familiar with the breed having only two labs of my own ....he lives in British Columbia, Canada where he could get into some good grouse hunting, perhaps rabbit if he wants .....and then some pheasant but not in the immediate area ....I believe his dog comes from a "show" pedigree.....it will be a family dog first ....but he wants to train it as well...sooo which direction would you lead him ....10 minute retriever ...etc....etc....DVD or books will work ...please let me know .....

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
How old is the dog? Is he prepared for the dog to not hunt at all? There are varying and strong opinions on Weims. If this dog is coming from a long list of show lines with little or no hunting experience, it may not hunt at all. The owner needs to be prepared for that. Do the parents hunt? If so, can this guy watch them?

If he truly wants this dog to hunt, he is possibly setting himself up for a major disappointment if the dog doesn't come from proven hunting stock. From my understanding there are breeders of Weims that work very diligent at keeping the hunting instinct alive in the breed, but they seem to be limited.

If he's dead set on getting this pup from the current breeder, I suggest exposure to birds, birds, and more birds. I feel that way because it does have limited prey drive due to personality, genetics, etc., the owner needs to assist in developing it. Throw out the stringent OB and just let the pup bust as many birds as possible...Take the dog out everyday and let him get used to the wild. It may awaken an instinct that's almost been bred out of him.

As far as a particular training program, two things jump out at me.

1. Training programs (for the most part) are based on the pup having a natural prey drive and hunting desire. You cannot teach this, only help develop it. Therefore, if the dog is show quality only no training program exists to "make" this a hunting dog.

2. From what I've read and heard from good friends, is that Weims are a little "softer" in training. Therefore, some of your more popular training programs may not fit a Weim.

Again, there are good Weim's out there for hunting and I'm not saying this pup can't be a good one. However, he's already putting himself in a hole by going the "show" route and not emphasizing proven hunting stock.

"it will be a family dog first ....but he wants to train it as well"

This is the case for most hunting companions. Don't let him think he should look for the family dog first and then the hunter. Rather find a breed/litter that is both. They do exist!

Lastly, I defer to the experts, but I believe that is sound advice. I can't stress it enough...even if he wants to hunt only a few days a year, for the sake of his sanity, he needs to find proven hunting lines. If this dog won't hunt when he hits the field to train or hunt, he'll find himself very frustrated. And you know what? He would only have himself to blame.

Good luck in helping him out!

Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
I myself have a Weime/choc lab. Luckily his mother was a good hunter and his dad was a so-so hunter. His mom(the choc lab) hunted everything from ducks to quail, and his dad sorta liked the ducks but was more of a family dog. I have found it fairly easy to train him as he is a VERY smart dog with a high prey drive. As was said though, he should be prepared for the dog to not have that drive to hunt. After I had heard that mine's father was more a at home family dog I did have my doubts also. But I think that introducing them early too hunting can be helpful at the least. Weime's have a very high drive to please, and at the same time a VERY VERY high energy level. But like I said they are very smart dogs and are eager to please. The show aspect is kinda iffy but one never knows. I'd say its a 50-50 chance(or 40-60). Even if the hunting aspect does not work out, a weime will still make a great family dog and also be very protective of those around him/her.

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
Clu_82,

I like George Hickox for Pointer stuff.

http://www.georgehickox.com/

Mike Taddy was right though - the best thing your buddy can do is get the dog on birds, birds, birds very early on.

I like weim's. I hunt over a buddy's today and my uncle raised hunting Weim's while based in Germany - he was also a veternarian Air Force Colonel in charge of the K9 unit.

As said...many are soft dogs so they require a different training style. Some have problems with seperation anxiety and need kenneled when left alone. Many can hunt just fine and many suffer from the good hunting qualities not being bred for.

This a a fast-twitch, fairly high wired, needs a lot of exercise and stimulation breed. Not what 1st comes to mind as primarily a 'family' dog but can certainly be a great hunting dog/family dog. But for that reason I wouldn't buy show lines.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Everything these guys before me have said has been pretty accurate. DuckZilla, I have Choc/weim cross too. He's smart. He doesn't have the prey drive that I'd hope for, but he's smart. He's getting it. If only to make me happy. He is pretty soft; he had absolutely zero confidence early on. I think I did too much OB b/c I din't know any better. But now I'm just letting him be a dog, even if the OB is a little slack. He still listens well. He's not crazy about water, but this summer should help him out.

On the other hand, I have a friend with a full weim. His dog isn't a hunter b/c my friend doesn't hunt. But I've seen this dog go for a blind on a stick w/ my buddy's fingerprint on it for at least 20 minutes (he played a dirty trick and hid it in a horse stall) The dog never gave up and found it. They seem to be pretty persistent. So you may just have something w/ a weim.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah I think the most amazing thing about the weime's are how much information they can absorb and how quickly. I had mine on sit and down in less than a week. He also is a bit shy of the water right now, though a few trips out to the lake this spring and summer should do him good. I think the OB that ive installed has been working pretty good. I haven't thrown too much at him at once(as you said im sorta letting him be a dog first) but just enough to where he is doin great.

·
Registered
180 Posts
taddy1340 said:
How old is the dog? Is he prepared for the dog to not hunt at all? There are varying and strong opinions on Weims. If this dog is coming from a long list of show lines with little or no hunting experience, it may not hunt at all. The owner needs to be prepared for that. Do the parents hunt? If so, can this guy watch them?

If he truly wants this dog to hunt, he is possibly setting himself up for a major disappointment if the dog doesn't come from proven hunting stock. From my understanding there are breeders of Weims that work very diligent at keeping the hunting instinct alive in the breed, but they seem to be limited.

If he's dead set on getting this pup from the current breeder, I suggest exposure to birds, birds, and more birds. I feel that way because it does have limited prey drive due to personality, genetics, etc., the owner needs to assist in developing it. Throw out the stringent OB and just let the pup bust as many birds as possible...Take the dog out everyday and let him get used to the wild. It may awaken an instinct that's almost been bred out of him.

As far as a particular training program, two things jump out at me.

1. Training programs (for the most part) are based on the pup having a natural prey drive and hunting desire. You cannot teach this, only help develop it. Therefore, if the dog is show quality only no training program exists to "make" this a hunting dog.

2. From what I've read and heard from good friends, is that Weims are a little "softer" in training. Therefore, some of your more popular training programs may not fit a Weim.

Again, there are good Weim's out there for hunting and I'm not saying this pup can't be a good one. However, he's already putting himself in a hole by going the "show" route and not emphasizing proven hunting stock.

"it will be a family dog first ....but he wants to train it as well"

This is the case for most hunting companions. Don't let him think he should look for the family dog first and then the hunter. Rather find a breed/litter that is both. They do exist!

Lastly, I defer to the experts, but I believe that is sound advice. I can't stress it enough...even if he wants to hunt only a few days a year, for the sake of his sanity, he needs to find proven hunting lines. If this dog won't hunt when he hits the field to train or hunt, he'll find himself very frustrated. And you know what? He would only have himself to blame.

Good luck in helping him out!

Mike
Spot on post Mike! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts