Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im thinking of putting a 4 speed in my truck. its a 81 c20 with a bal. and blueprinted 454 (610 hp at the flywheel) with a built 400 tranny,4.56s front and rear, locked in the back w/ an air locker in the front ( still havnt plumbed it yet though) on 38 ground hawgs. my question is, what is a good 4 speed tranny (straight out of a scrap yard, so i can get all the linkages, pedal, etc.) and do any of you know of a good tranny shop in northern ca. that you could recommend. ive found a couple of shops on my own but with out some feed back im not going shell out good money to have my tranny stuck in 3rd gear after a run in the mud! thanks Jason

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
for a scrapyard 4 speed i would recommend an old Borg Warner T-18 or T-98, they are heavy duty truck transmissions, built solid, tuff as nails. you'll need an adaptor for the bellhousing because it's originally a ford tranny. They are the same housing, different gears.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
One idea is why not run a heavy 5spd so you can run it at a little higher speeds since you are running 4.56s?

You could pull a NV4500 straight out of a newer Chevy and have one hell of a tranny that will let you turn lower RPMs at road speeds.

What T case are you using? Most 81 K20s I see around are using 208s, and they will take some good abuse. Still may think about stepping up to a 205 if you plan on flogging it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.