Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive ran em plenty of times and know from experience they can be a mess. just wonderin if there's any trot line experts out there that wouldn't mind throwin out a few tips.......anything from settin em up to bait and depth, whatever.... I never mind learnin somethin new :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
You can rum em bout anywhere and be productive at the right times. Next month mine will be in 4-5 ft of water. I tie mine below the surface of the water and weight the other end. I normally dont mark them just to keep people from getting the urge to check em.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats about the depth and same method i use too. appreciate it. keep it comin guys..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
DC .... you just keep hangin in there with me and I'll learn ya somethin about trot-lines ... :rofl:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i forgot you're good at snaggin those 300 pounders..... they even smell like fish :yes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
we normally tie ours bout 6in above water and run across a 5 to 10 feet deep channel or pocket of backwater, with a weight about 8 to10 feet from each end, and use the swivel release for easy on and off of the hooks and bait with perch, blood bait, minnows, or stink bait, all depends on the current in the water. just my .2 and little bit about what we do!

Remeber more hooks in water equal more fish MOST OF TIME!

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Well I make my own so expense is not a big issue, So I normally just leave a few out all year long on different lakes and rivers. Just gps mark em, I'll make my way out at the end of my fishing season (November ducks) And remove them. and put the hook in my scrap metal pile.

If your moving them a lot the best bet is to go to a auto parts, store or some store like Fastenal and get a couple hundred feet of "split loom" It's the black almost tube like stuff that goes over wires for automotive, boats etc, to make them look nice, protect them ETC: Just run it over the main line, and drop the hook line through it. If you have the detachable swivels, you absolutely never have to worry about getting a big mess anymore.

1/4" Split Loom

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats a good idear greenster. that stuff pretty cheap? it floats dont it.... im guessing you tie a weight to one end?

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Not really that cheap and will not float when secured to your main line. You put it around your main anchor line where you clip all your drops.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gotcha

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
You can catch cats year round on lines all depending on depth and bait. Most however set them in the spring throughout the summer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ah ha ha ha .... you think you funny. I guess you'llbe gettin lost at felsenthal on the 8th huh? :eek: I can see you now :help: ...... :tongue:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts