Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
BBK, yes on the duck loads, I scored a bunch of various HTL goose loads cheap a while back, have a pile of it!

May look into it for next year, the turkey loads I use are lil gun in Fiocchi hulls csd20 wads, so I may look for something I can utilize the stuff I have on hand preferably.
For 20 gauge I am not sure if you will get a full ounce. You didn't say if your hulls were 2.75 or 3" but I am sure you can find a suitable load for each, fio 20ga can hold a lot of volume.

Precision has data for fio 3" using the tuwsbl2024 (same wad as csd20) for 7/8 steel at 1300ish, and 2.75" fio hull using that wad has 7/8 at 1250 or 3/4 at 1325-1475, maybe Bob can answer if doing this swap would increase speed or not? I don't see any 1oz data in the sheets I have, and no lil gun. however check ballistic products load of the week archives, they do a few 20 gauge lil gun non tox loads (including steel) with the csd20 and they almost always use fio or cheddite hulls.

Bob, thanks for your posts on this subject. they are a wealth of knowledge! Any chance you have some 20 gauge data? I have a bunch of 2.75 federal 1 1/8 heavyweight that I am pulling the shot from since I do not like the flight control wad. Could use a decent 7/8 or 1oz recipe or a use for the shot-less shotshells.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1/4 oz tss and 3/4 oz steel has my attention. I only hand load turkey loads so I roll crimp, any waterfowl load rolled?

Was thinking 20ga but interested in a light 12ga 2 3/4 load really.
I’ve been loading 0.70oz of steel and 0.40oz of hw15 in 2.75” 12gauge hulls. Low recoil, and kills geese.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Some oldie but goodie info here

·
Registered
11,087 Posts
i was unsure if changing some of the steel to TSS would change the pressure within the shell when using a steel recipe. you guys say no though? just use a steel recipe and replace however much i want with TSS?
As long as the total payload weight doesn't change, the pressure shouldn't change.
Increase payload weight = increased pressure.
Decrease payload weight = decreased pressure.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
As long as the total payload weight doesn't change, the pressure shouldn't change.
Increase payload weight = increased pressure.
Decrease payload weight = decreased pressure.
Sort of.
Pressure is effected by how squishy a load is too. Collapsible section of the wad, compressible fillers, and soft shot all can lower Pressure.
Also, volume of shot has an impact. Think surface area pushing against the barrel walls.
And, shot size will effect psi too.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts