Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be in the wrong forum here but I am looking for opinions on shells for turkey hunting. What have people used and liked? I will be shooting a nova with a factory extra full choke. :help:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
In 12 gauge I shoot mostly 2 oz. #4 hevi-shot. I used to shoot Fiocchi 2 3/8 oz. #4 lead and liked that too. It's really about finding out which shell works best with your gun and choke. When I first got into it I bought a variety of turkey shells at the end of the season on sale a walmart and shot patterns with each to see which performed well in each gun. I saw turkey patterns and shells on sale there the other day. You might want to check your local store.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh say thats exactly what I was going to do but I am just looking to see what others have used, so I kind of have a baseline to start off of, I really apprecieate the help, as I am a first time turkey hunter :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
My last three fall turkeys were taken with my 20 ga with 7/8 of 7.5 My springers flush them and I shoot them on the wing with a pheasent load. If I go spring it with #4 -3" 2 oz with primos x full tube. I've also heard a .22 hornet does wonders on them too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help fellas! Now if this snow would melt so I can get out to the range and start shooting I will know where I stand!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts