Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been seeing alot of turkeys at the new house almost every day. So ive decided it will Be my first time going turkey hunting this year. Been watching a few YouTube videos etc. whos all going and what season is typically the best for calling them in?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I’ll also be doing my second spring Turkey hunt?… everyone tells me the first week is always the best cause they’ll start getting call shy after everyone gets in the woods and/or you miss the peak breeding portion of the season

Spring Turkey always a reminds me of years ago I was on my way to work in the morning driving east on 12 coming to the 494 interchange and a Tom went full send from the woods into the highway and it just missed my door and the truck behind me absolutely demolished that bird and that bird demolished the front of his brand new truck lol it was hilarious and shocking at the same time …. Especially when for about 1/2 mile the Turkey was full spread flapping in the wind stuck on his grill until it rolled off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
indont think i need to get worried about them being call shy seeing as i am one of 4 houses that can legally hunt them in my neighborhood and no one else hunts since they are mostly city folks that moved out to be in the suburbs. I probably wont put a ton of effort into it. Just walk out behind the house in the AM at lunch and after work hit the turkey call and if one comes in/responds great if not walk back to the house.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Only my 3rd year. I'll be doing season B. Not sure if that's good for calling or not. Only turkey I shot I didn't think cared about calling. Then the next year I called at a bunch of turkeys I could hear gobbling their asses off in the morning and none came over. One I could see up in a tree from my blind, he must have gobbled 20 times (usually setting off a chain reaction).

More than any other time of year I'd say spring hunting is more enjoyable "just being out there". Fall I want to get my kill fix, spring I'm just out there enjoying nature not really expecting success.

If you want to join up, let me know. I've hit up some public spots in the Isanti area.

·
4,802 Posts
If you're seeing where they are just setup where they are. As when to hunt them don't know I hunted every season last year and had opportunities every season. I just couldn't connect. I like to put them to bed. That's just me

·
Registered
525 Posts
indont think i need to get worried about them being call shy seeing as i am one of 4 houses that can legally hunt them in my neighborhood and no one else hunts since they are mostly city folks that moved out to be in the suburbs. I probably wont put a ton of effort into it. Just walk out behind the house in the AM at lunch and after work hit the turkey call and if one comes in/responds great if not walk back to the house.
I live in Nowthen, in a development with 3-10 acre lots. When I first moved out here I thought the same thing but quickly learned that our neighborhood turkeys were smart. I have since given up on them and go further North where I have more room to roam. I have a neighbor kid that hunted at least 20 days last year with his bow and never bagged one.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will keep you posted. I still need to pattern my shot gun with turkey loads but i plan on doing that this weekend. Also i didnt realize you could hunt every season with a shot gun. I am going to have to double check the regulations - or is that bow only?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I will keep you posted. I still need to pattern my shot gun with turkey loads but i plan on doing that this weekend. Also i didnt realize you could hunt every season with a shot gun. I am going to have to double check the regulations - or is that bow only?
Bow only.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Those damn birds can drive you crazy. I’ve had seasons that last 5 minutes and ones that I chase them for weeks. I haven’t hunted them in the spring for a while now. I usually have some project that I’m trying to get done for the wife before we start camping or going to the cottage.

For whatever reason my property holds a lot of birds in the fall but nothing in the spring. Now I just buy a fall tag and try to get one when I’m out bow hunting. I’ve counted flocks of 80 in the fall.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: This cold weather blows. Heard a few gobblers near by on the first morning but the rain made it so my slate call wouldnt work and didnt want to try and put a sneak on. Didnt shoot any turkeys but could of shot a few limits of ducks, a couple of geese, a rooster and multiple deer. Hopefully this weather changes quickly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts