Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WooHoo! :getdown: Turkey season will officially be in in GA at 5:57 tomorrow morning. I can't wait! I will let you know how it went late tomorrow morning. :yes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hunting gods were with us this morning and we found a suicidal tom. He gobbled at everything and was dead 10 minutes from when I made my first yelps. I called him in for my brother. It was like shooting fish in a barrel and by far the easiest bird that we have ever killed. He flew down and came in on a rope. He had a 10 1/4" beard and 3/4" spurs. We forgot to weigh him, but he would have probably gone about 17-18lbs. He was only my brothers 2nd bird so I was pumped that I got to call it in for him. Good luck to the rest of you when your seasons roll around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Congrats on the gobbler and good luck to the rest of u lucky son's of guns. The only turkey opener here is when u go to the suppermarket and open the freezer to get a turkey. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I went this mornin and had two workin within 50 yds. off the roost. but they wouldn't come closer. They are still with a lot of hens right now so hopefully things will pick up as the season progresses. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
congrats GA, i am going Friday morning when it opens here. i hope i am as successful as you were opening day!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not just opening day, but the third day as well. I killed a good bird this morning. The weather was so bad yesterday that I didn't even go, and the wind was so bad this morning I was wishing that I had stayed in bed. I had to get pops out of bed, because he thought I was crazy to hunt in all that wind. After 30 minutes of hearing nothing but wind, he decided to hang it up and get ready for work. I went to check out one more spot on my way home and didn't here squat, but as I left to take the long way home I ran a good bird out of the road that borders our property. I slammed it in reverse and flew back to where he couldn't see the truck, then got out and hight tailed to as close as I dared to where he had been in the road. I started calling really loud due to the heavy winds, but to no avail. After about 10 minutes I heard what I thought was a gobble. A series of yelps later, I knew that it was a gobble. I finally saw him about 60 yds out strutting and gobbling. That's right I could see him gobbling, but could barely here him. After a while he walked behind a big briar patch and I thought the game was up. After about 5 minutes I called and he immediately answered (new hope). I shut up and he finally came waltzing in from my left. When he broke strut at 28 yds, I dusted him. After it was all said and done he weighed 19 1/2lbs, sported 2 beards 8 and 10 1/2", and spurs 1 and 1 1/4". Needless to say I was tickled pink. :salude:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.