Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
My grandma sews windsocks and flyers out of tyvex and they work great. I think it is pretty cheap not sure exactly what it cost. I had a bunch of painters suits that i used.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
LOTS of misconceptions here....

Tyvek is a brand name and Dupoint is the maker of it, and there are MANY different Tyvek models. The into the wind link does NOT have the proper tyvek code # . Also the stuff Lowes, HomeDepot, etc carry is NOT even close to what we Snow goose hunter use.

What you want is code # 1443

Many think, Oh I'll save alot of money and make them myself---NOT. You can buy them for about 2.00 to 2.50 for each sock. Most that have done a few hundred-say=never again! The brown socks for the Blues is very hard to come by being it is custom imprinted. Plus you have the alum or SS stakes, push nuts. And if you add heads--about $4 average for each head. ($1.50 for NW sentry, $5 for a true feeder or shorty).

And NORTHWIND is a brand name which Expedite Intl makes then under license. WIND SOCK is the generic name for wind sock decoys. BTW--NWs cheapened the collar--out of cardboard instead of plastic now. :eek: Not good at all.

And yes I started doing my own custom socks for Snows and Blues 17 years ago... so I'm no Johnny come lately like most guys are like now.

Frankly it is too late now to make them--the season is HERE now. But a good spring/summer project, or next January project. Especially the painting--you need WARM weather when using the spray paint so it dries right.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've got about 200 tyvek texas rags. Used black spray paint to add wing detail, added the wood dowel rods and off we went. They've held up for three seasons now. I got them off ebay, think I paid about $30 for them. They are sewn bags is all they are. About 36" long by 20" wide. NO reflection at all. I roll mine up on the dowel and store them in a plastic tote with a lid that I got from wal-mart.
:salude:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.