Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... I will never get a dog that is specific to one type of hunting.

I have a golden. He is a fat lazy house dog. But we love him.
sleeps with the boys. He thinks he is human. But will never retrieve.

Id want a dog that can
run hog
small game
quail
retrieve

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Weimeraner without a doubt, definately one of the faster bird dogs with plenty of stamina. I've had two and dealt with others. We had one on the fish farm that was trained to spot, point and retreive downed Comorants out of the ponds after we shot them. That sumbiatch could run, and run all day long. He would chase the birds from pond to pond untill we could get out there and get a shot on them. We ran deer with him a couple of times, on open ground he could dang near run them down. Had a nose like the dickens and was just a great all around dog.

That deutsche dog looks nothing more than a fancy named german shorthair, probably a good dog but I've never dealt with one. GSP's yes plenty of dealings with them but only saw 2 that would reteive in water that it had to swim in, the rest would not let their feet off the bottom

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dont want to ruffle any feathers here but , A DD dog is not a fancy GSP far from it. From my experience it a lot easier get a good DD than a Weim. DD point game, Retrieve from Land and water, Blood track, (wounded deer etc, and will hunt boar (most will bay). B.T.W
German bred G.S Pointers will do the same, except DD dogs have a better coat than G.S P for cold weather and water.

Seaneen

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would go with a NAVHDA bred German shorthair for here in Florida. They test for water work and you can verify the results of the bloodlines you are looking at by looking at history of dogs in the blood line. Alot of florida bred GSPs are primarily field trial type dogs. Great at finding birds but might not have the other abilities you are looking for (NAVDHA is a great place to start).

The D.D.s are the real deal, they have the most hardcore breeding and testing requirements. You would have to ask guys or gals that own them here in Florida to see how they hold up in the heat.

Disclaimer this is not to ruffle feathers.
There are some hunting Weim kennels in the US that produce hunting dogs but they are few and far between. (once again if you want to go the weim route look to NAVHDA for kennels). There popularity as pets and the show ring have been their demise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Disclaimer this is not to ruffle feathers.
There are some hunting Weim kennels in the US that produce hunting dogs but they are few and far between. (once again if you want to go the weim route look to NAVHDA for kennels). There popularity as pets and the show ring have been their demise.
I agree 100%

Seaneen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go with a NAVHDA German Shorthair. Their registry makes it easy to select a pup based on their Natural Ability testing of young dogs from prior litters. The testing includes pointing, tracking and water work. German Shorthairs are the most popular breed in NAVHDA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.