Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a pup and out of the three left one has an umbilical hernia. I do not plan on breeding her so I was curious if that pup is one I should stray from or if fixed she will be fine?

Before it is fixed should the pup have any limitations as far as what she can do or is it not that bad? What about after its fixed? Will she still be able be an active dog?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a female lab that had the same thing, I have not thought about is sense I saw your post. It was a simple surgery that I had done on her at about 5 months old or so. She has hunted upland and waterfowl in SD, ND, IA, MN, and WI. She also has her AKC Senior title and will be starting on her Master this spring. I plan on breeding her next year. She has had no problems!!!

I will say that I did not pay full price for her, the surgery should be about $250. If I was selling the pup I would discount the price for the added expense. It is like buying a hail damaged car, brand new but needs a little body work.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, he said he would give me $100 off of that pup. He said if she was going to be spayed that it would be $40 extra to just fix the hernia while they were in there. At least thats what his vet would charge.

·
Registered
392 Posts
my chessie earl developed one at about 6 mo's old. the vet checked it and said it had healed itself and would be fine as long as it didnt grow any more. so a year and a half later its still there. it doesnt seem to affect him whatsoever. but i am relieved to know that it only costs approx. $250 because i really hate looking at it and ive been thinking about having it fixed. im afraid my female pup is gonna bite it and it will pop. :eek:

also, how big is this hernia on the pup? earl's is about as big around as a 50 cent coin and sticks out 3/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even know to be honest with you. I'm going tonight to look at the pups after work.
Looking forward to the 3 hour drive, haha. I know it will be worth it though.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I hope you didn't buy her with the intent of breeding. Although there is no proof that it is a genetic problem that could be passed to the pups, any dog that has a congenital abnormality should not be put into the breeding pool.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heath said:
I have the opportunity to buy a pup and out of the three left one has an umbilical hernia. I do not plan on breeding her so I was curious if that pup is one I should stray from or if fixed she will be fine?
Nope, not my intention to breed at all.

I hope to have some pictures up before bed tonight, if not tomorrow after work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.