Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not mine... :lol:

Tonight, as I was working on my computer, I got a waft of the nastiest smell. I looked down at my male lab and for a lack of better words, his ars was leaking.

What's your experience with this? I've read that it's natural and a good sign for dogs to do this. Is this true in your experience?

It's not the first time, but definitely the worst! He now keeps licking his ars to clean it. Is there agitation? I've read on here that someone's vet showed him how to clean/milk them...fun!

I did change his food 2 weeks ago...nothing else different. I'm about to gag! :puke:

Thanks guys! Gottal love dogs...he'll probably try to lick my face yet tonight as well...not gonna happen!

Mike

·
Registered
542 Posts
I put myself through college as a vet tech and had to express dogs anal glands daily. You wear gloves of course. Anal glands are usually expressed by the dog when the are scared or excited, etc. When I worked at the vet's office, owners would bring their dogs in all the time to have them expressed so that they wouldn't express them in their house like yours did. The problem with this is that alot of dogs will lose the ability to express them on their own after someone has done it for them several times and then you have to continuously take them to get it done or it can be very uncomfortable for the dog and they can even get infected. If your dog stays outside alot you probably won't have much of a problem because they will more than likely express them outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ive read it to be common in Labs. My Golden had problems as well. We have to take our current Black Lab to the vet when it is bothering him he can never express it himself. It does really bother him until they are popped. The vet did show us how to do it Id personally keep paying, rather than stick my fingers where they shouldnt be.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
My friends Golden Retreiver was the same way. I told him to change the diet to fresh food. I told him eggs and oatmeal in the morning eggs and sweet potatoes in the evening would clear the dog up. He put the dog on the diet and the dog has not had that problem since. You can scramble up a bunch of eggs twice a week and cook up some oatmeal and keep it in the fridge and serve it to them cold. Its cheap too. Its not that much effort.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had a female Rottweiler who had frequent grand mal seizures. One day, she flopped over in the front hall closet and loosed her anal glands all over everything. The seizure was violent enough to broadcast the nasty juice up onto the ceiling. I didn't even want to know if the clothes could be salvaged. I just bagged the stuff and threw it out.

I don't know if all dogs are quite so pungent back there, but I won't be expressing any dog's anal glands as long as there are people who will take money to do it for me. I'm not especially squeamish, either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.