Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i was surprised at the number of votes received on the last poll about single/double reed calls. thanks to everyone for participating. i think there was some good information in the responses that were offered. let's keep up that trend this week. :salude:

let's talk about using whistles. give any and all information you want to share including successes failures, tips & how-to's, etc.

note: links to a compilation of info are great of course. if you can/want to, add your own input, experiences, etc. as well. thanks again for helping out us novice callers.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I use a whistle everytime I am out duck hunting. I think it makes my spread sound more realistic with it because if you listen to a flock you can hear the drake sometimes. I hunt in a field most of the time and I have a shaker feeder call and then I blow the whistle while I am shaking it.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You can turn a flock of Goldeneyes using a whistle using the te te te te te te sound that they make when they do their "fly-by's". It seems they turn around at least one time to try to pick up the stray birds left behind. I like using the drake Mallard dweeeek as well, seems to convince the drakes to follow the hen in for the landing. I like using the Teal chirp with the grinding/growling hen call. We don't shoot a ton of Teal, but the combo sure fools them right into the spread. We just don't have enough Widgeon and Pintails to try out the other whistles.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We use one quite a bit. Sometimes in late season we will barely use our mallard calls and just use use the drake whistle. It makes a big difference because everyone else around is high balling and doing all that crap that the ducks hear everyday. I think it really helps bring em in, especially those weary late season ducks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
which whistle brand do you prefer? There are so many out there, now that you guys have me convinced that I need one, what do i buy? :help:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.