Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
This should be stopped immediately!!!!!!!!!! Agression toward man or dog should not be tolerated. If you want to have a dog that you can places besides your boat and back.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i agree with the previous post.
my good friend is a cop, he has a shepard that is dare i say. unruling.
anway, he wants to fight with tanner all the time (they grewup together)
now tanner is a working dog not a fighter. when i can get tohim intime i have him sit at heal untill the two can act civil.
my buddy thinks my dog is a woos but like i told him, my dog has to be around 20 to 30 dogs each time we go out and to have him being a hateful fighter is only going to add problems in the field. finally he understood, and has begun his training of commands. (personally i think he is starting to late but, anyway)
stop the aggresivness around other dogs now or it may cost you more than you think. i would hate to see someone go after you financially because your dog hurt another hunters dog.
just my humble opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i had to break my chocolate lab of this. he is very territorial when it comes to dogs coming in our yard, etc. he also doesn't like another dog approaching me or the kids if we are out somewhere. i think that chocolates tend to be the more aggressive of the 3. now to your ?, how to fix the problem. it's pretty tough. you really have to understand why they are doing it. typically it's a protection thing. they are looking after you or their home. more often than not, it's the alpha dogs of a litter that are like this. first thing you need to do is explain to your dog that there isn't another living thing on this planet that is tougher/meaner than you are. you can do that in several ways without beating the dog into submission. just put your dog into submissive positions and make her stay there for a little bit. once you have done this and she concedes that you are the alpha, start introducing your dog to "friendly" dogs on a lead. if she gets out-of-line, correct her immediately. make her spend time around these dogs. the biggest point is to prove to her that you are safe around other dogs. until you do this, she will always have a desire to protect you. NOTE: don't take her around dogs that have a tendency to be aggressive also. that is a recipe for a sure fight. my lab won't back down from anything, period! (i won't tell you about the great dane he ran off out of our yard or the 2 pitbulls that came wandering up to the fence one day.) something to keep in mind. don't bring other dogs to your house to do the introducing. that is a double whammy because she not only will want to protect you/your family, but her turf also. imo, you don't want to make the dog afraid of anything. you want her to keep her personality, but you have to be able to control it. obedience is a key factor here also. you need to make sure that she understands that "heel" is not an option. with a dog like mine, when you say heel, that dog's ass better be right there, it doesn't matter where or what she is doing.

the good news in all of this is that you have recognized the issue. you definitely need to get a handle on it. some people actually think it's cool to have a dog that is "tough". i just remind them that it doesn't matter how tough their dog is, there is always another dog out there that is tougher.

hth!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.