Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys forgive my ignorance. I am using dekes for the first time this year and have bought a dozen to get me started. What is the best way to set them up with the weights and strings, I've studied the basic placement but I'm cloudy on whether or not they are individually weighted or tied together in groups. Thanks for your time fellas :help:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Individual lines with each decoy having a weight is the easiest method. I love "Tangle Free" brand of plastic decoy line, the nylon is the pits as it knotted all the time and is hard to undo the knots.

Most of my puddler decoys are on gang lines, also known a long lines. Basically I use a 18' to 30' of tangle free line in which I attach 3 to 5 decoys to the line using long line clamps. The TF is wrapped around keel with a good sized weight (the decoy is the last decoy out or the tailend of the line, 10 to 32 ozs depending on length. I use Super Mags so I need a bit heavier weights than if I used reg sized decoys. The decoys that attach to the line have 2' drops so a dog can swin over the main line. This is the same basic set up as a long lining for Divers.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Here is the best way I have found. Take tangle free line, the plastic cord stuff, and get the weights to match. The weights have to be like a big slip sinker so they can move along the line. Set your decoys into groups of four or six, slide the weights down to the decoy, tie them in a big not. When you get ready to hunt, untie the knot, chuck them out into the water. The weights slide down automatically and you are throwing six decoys at a time. You can put out 6 dozen decoys in a few minutes...

Oh yeah, don't forget to tie a knott on the end of the cord so the decoys don't slide off.....

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.