Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out hunting today. Ran a stick through my waders. I've been through about every brand that I can think of. They all seem to have the same weaknesses. Looking for advise on some heavy duty, yet affordable Neoprine waders. Anyone who hunts flooded timber knows the drill.

· Registered
2,027 Posts
I purchased some Hodgman Duramag waders and so far they have been ok. If I get a hole in these I will be buying the cabelas ICE busters, they are not as comfy, (3 ply convas wader), but they are super tough....

Mike

· Registered
65 Posts
do those ICE BUSTERS ever soften up I'm on my 2nd season and the still stand up by them self in the corner when I take them off. As a matter of fact they are so stiff I have to stand if I sit it really hurts and digs into the back of my knees. Despite all this I think they are the best wader I ever had for late season. I also use the cabela's dry plus pant style waders, very comfortable and easy to wear but very thin Ice slices em like razor blades, ok in heavy ice though go figure.

frank

· Registered
1,621 Posts
my ice busters are not that uncomfortable. i can sit just fine. they arent that stiff either. when they were new they werent that bad. maybe try a good pair of wader pants. the neoprenes are more comfortable, but they dont last. you could break ice all day long with the ice busters.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have found that wearing stocking foot waders with camo clothing over the wadders adds a layer of protection to the neoprene wadders. I also find that wearing the cabelas wadding boots with air bob soles gives good ankle support and traction in mud. I hunt in south Texas and am constantly dealing with thorns and other things that poke and bite, and the camo clothing over the wadders has saved me some money over the last 8 years.

· Registered
1,920 Posts
great reply LoneWolf....I do the same thing....an inexpensive pair of uninsulated canvas bibs give alot of durability, especially wear spots....probably not as effective at stopping beaver stick pokes etc.

I hunt in neoprenes when in the MLB just because they are so much easier to manuver in transfering from tender to layout etc....and the bibs allow for alot more wearability at the knees and seat.

· Registered
27 Posts
cableas 1000 gram thins. boot cordura fronts 5mm i have 2 pairs of these and had some trouble with shoulder strap on 1 pr. sent them back cableas sent me a new pair they 5 yrs old the other pair is on it 8th season never had a leak or any trouble. I have hunted duck for 30 yrs and these are the warmest and toughest wader i have ever owned. if i don't die first and ever need another pair i will be buying them again. the cost on these were 159. plus shipping. :thumbsup: " take a kid hunting you will never regret it"

· Registered
40 Posts
Redlegg has it right...I have had the cheapes and $299.00 Duck Commander waders...sent both back and bought some from Cabela's.

They are about 2 years old and DON'T LEAK. Warm as hell and for $160.00 bucks you can't beat them (or puncture for that matter) with a stick!

Cabela's 1000 gram thinsulate Neoprene

· Registered
138 Posts
I have the RedHead 1300gram Thinsulate Bonedrys i have had them 4 seasons and i'm in the flooded feild as well as the open water and have never had a problem. also spraying that waterproofing spray on them after each use will keep them lots stronger.

· Registered
7 Posts
well i have to say that i bought the cabela's 1600 gram waders with the armor flex neoprene...love em! had them out a lot this season and have had no problems, especially no cold feet. if you are going to be packing in a good distance, i would recommend that you find another way to transport your waders, they are warm. was out last weekend...3/4" of ice on the water, 7 degrees w/out wind, was in water for almost 5 hours, not a complaint!

· Registered
362 Posts
Got a pair of Hodgeman 1000g 5mm with durastretch and they have worked great so far. Broke some ice the other day and it pinched away at the knees a little bit but it has extra protection and padding there so no biggy. Very comfortable waders though and enjoy them a lot!

· Registered
118 Posts
Cabelas 1600 gram waders in Max 4 are the ticket. My feet always feel like they're at home in wool socks and slippers. Ditto on the walking in them. They're a little too toasty to walk far in and you'll sweat up a storm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.