Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My breathable fly fishing waders have proven themselves to be unsuitable for late season hunting. I wear a 13 wide stocking foot wader. Any suggestions on waders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
42,633 Posts
My breathable fly fishing waders have proven themselves to be unsuitable for late season hunting. I wear a 13 wide stocking foot wader. Any suggestions on waders?

There's a bijillion threads on waders. Have you used the search feature yet in the gear forum? 13 wide is tough enough with wader boots!!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I agree there’s a billion threads and a billion opinions on waders. It’s like arguing Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. And like cars will break down sooner or later. If you’re a fan of breathable’s and want to stick with them, I like my LL Bean Apex waders. Pricey yes. So far so good on my second season with current pair. I cannot comment on their performance in sub freezing condition’s yet but I have been comfortable on all of my hunts so far. They provide me the ability to dress for the conditions accordingly. Nothing sucks more than sweating your arse off in neoprene then cooling down afterwards. I’m confident that I could stay warm in these no matter the temp. The only hit on Bean’s I can make is the sizing. A size 13 boot is gonna put you in a very large body size and depending on your build could leave you with a lot of wader material. That being said it could also benefit you in layering for colder conditions. Best of luck…

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree there’s a billion threads and a billion opinions on waders. It’s like arguing Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. And like cars will break down sooner or later. If you’re a fan of breathable’s and want to stick with them, I like my LL Bean Apex waders. Pricey yes. So far so good on my second season with current pair. I cannot comment on their performance in sub freezing condition’s yet but I have been comfortable on all of my hunts so far. They provide me the ability to dress for the conditions accordingly. Nothing sucks more than sweating your arse off in neoprene then cooling down afterwards. I’m confident that I could stay warm in these no matter the temp. The only hit on Bean’s I can make is the sizing. A size 13 boot is gonna put you in a very large body size and depending on your build could leave you with a lot of wader material. That being said it could also benefit you in layering for colder conditions. Best of luck…
I’ve gone with stocking foot waders because of the good boot fit. Simms size 14 wading boot fits me perfectly. My only issue is that my fly fishing waders aren’t insulated and I can envision the materiel being punctured rather easily. I’ve been wearing poly sweatpants under my waders and tucking them into my socks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am going to recommend you go with neoprene waders for late season for safety alone. You go in with neoprenes on and a belt your lower body will fill with air and stay dry. You will also bob feet up on you back. Even with out life jacket on it is easy to stay afloat and back stoke to safety. It is even easier in a life jacket. I have done this in summer time to practice self rescue. Once out your legs will be dry and you can quickly get to warmth if needed. I also had a fall about 4 years ago and went in deep water in January. Backed stroked to my butt was on bank. Rolled up out. Lower half totally dry. Into dry bag for shirt and sweatshirt and still hunted for another hour.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to recommend you go with neoprene waders for late season for safety alone. You go in with neoprenes on and a belt your lower body will fill with air and stay dry. You will also bob feet up on you back. Even with out life jacket on it is easy to stay afloat and back stoke to safety. It is even easier in a life jacket. I have done this in summer time to practice self rescue. Once out your legs will be dry and you can quickly get to warmth if needed. I also had a fall about 4 years ago and went in deep water in January. Backed stroked to my butt was on bank. Rolled up out. Lower half totally dry. Into dry bag for shirt and sweatshirt and still hunted for another hour.
Good point, I wear a wader belt regardless. Neoprene is a bit cheaper as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use stocking foot waders for fly fishing. I recently needed breathable waders for duck hunting and went with the Rogers Toughman 2.0 with the built in boot. The thing I like about these is they have a zip out insulated lining. That way I can take it out for early season and put in for late season.
I also prefer the built in boot vs the separate boot. There are many companies who have the zip out lining.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've gone with Chene waders this season and have liked them a lot. They are pricey, for sure, but after going through 4 different sets of waders in three seasons, with all but one out of warranty, I decided to preference a lifetime warranty, qualify and comfort over affordability. They are breathable, but insulated in the boots and with the included wader pants and longjohns, have suited me fine down to 0 degrees.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Chene are new to me, look like a well made wader. I was going to go with USIA but not sure what I want yet? I repaired a leak in my neoprenes and so far so good, but they suck for walking around!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I’ve been pretty impressed with my Rogers insulated breathable. It’s nice to be able to zip the insulation out in the early season. This is my third season with them. My only complaint is the boots are not contoured to your heel so you can easily pull your foot out of your boot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a lighter pair of Rogers waders that were good(now leaking) except a bit short on the torso
My other pair of waders are Cabela's super mags that are still going strong
I'm leaning towards Rogers elite waders for next season, just wish they still offered a zip up pair

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I’ll start by saying I’ve pretty well sworn off neoprenes, too heavy and in my experience the most leak prone. I have a set of USIA’s and while they’re super tough and well made they just don’t work well for a hunting wader for me. Mostly due to the lack of any insulation and the Bogs boot offer very little. I ran them 2 seasons before a leak and decided I wanted to try the insulated breathable route. So I sent my USIA’s back and had them repaired (it did cost a few dollars for them to be fixed) and while they were off getting fixed I bought a set of Frogg toggs grand refuge 2.0’s and LOVE THEM. Which Frogg toggs are who makes the Roger’s waders. But I love the insulation in them and how light Weight they are. Ran one set for 3 seasons hunting very hard and more than I ever have before during those seasons and the seams where the boots connect to the rest of the waders finally gave up. Had no qualms about buying another pair. And i still use my USIA’s for fishing and warmer weather hunting like teal and early goose season.

So if I were to only have one pair it would be the Frogg Togg grand refuge waders with the zip out insulation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts