Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waterfowler's O/U dropped in water? I got the Browning O/U Citori MOBU camo. I got this gun after dealing with autoloaders that jam. Anyway, I hunt in flooded timber alot and know it is just a matter of time before I drop the gun or fall in the water with it. I shoot and clean o/u in the off season but never had them completely apart. What I want to know is what about all the internals? You know water will get in there and cause the thing to rust. Just planning ahead because I know that it will be submerged soon and I want to have a plan of attack.
Edited to add: the stock wood but looks synthetic and is dipped in camo all factory original, I thought it was synthetic but it is wood

·
Registered
717 Posts
My Winchester Select took a unexpected swim with me this past season.
I just removed the stock so the trigger group and hammers were exposed sprayed em down and blew it all out with compressed air.
lightly relubed let the stock dry compleatly put it back together and
took it back out. No real big problem.
My stock is wood so I had allready put a light linseed oil finish on the inside of it so no water would soak deep into the unfinished wood.

Spry

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Spry Yellowdog said:
My Winchester Select took a unexpected swim with me this past season.
I just removed the stock so the trigger group and hammers were exposed sprayed em down and blew it all out with compressed air.
lightly relubed let the stock dry compleatly put it back together and
took it back out. No real big problem.
My stock is wood so I had allready put a light linseed oil finish on the inside of it so no water would soak deep into the unfinished wood.

Spry
Very good advice.

Once you remove the butt stock it exposes all the guts. Form there it is easy to spray out and clean them. I doubt that very much water got in but any of course it to much.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Flyingbrass said:
how do you remove the stock? do you start by taking the butt pad off like on a 870 or 1100?
Yes. First you take off the butt pad. Then depending on the model of o/u you will need a large screw driver or a socket to take the butt stock off. Once you remove the butt stock it will expose the trigger assembly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good points...

Make sure sure the wood is completely dry and when you get your trigger assembly and/or action apart(no matter what type of gun), try to get the moisture out asap, either in front of a fan or with a hair dryer, and then lube well and re-assemble. If you use a spray lube similar to WD-40, RemOil, Gunslick, etc.., watch after you spray to make sure you didn't displace some moisture hiding somewhere prior to reassembly. I will often use a Teflon-type Dri-Lube (like Hoppe's), when I know it's completely dry.

I help out at my smith's place and have seen some real nasty work by way of a few dunkings (and also some careless owners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts