Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who did it fer ya? Fer me it was me Uncle Jon, or Jondog amongst other name's. Anyway, strange deal he's only seven year's my senior more like a brother than my brother's. Taught me everythin I hoped to know about duck's, pheasant's and dog's. Also directed me toward's photography, a big influence on my life. The most honest and humble man I know. We have had alot of good time's and here's hopin for many more. I can't hear a CCR song without thinkin of him.... Thank you Jondog

· Registered
380 Posts
Was my Oldest Brother.

I'm the youngest and HAD to do Everything Big Brother Did!

I followed in his shoes on somethings. Waterfowl hunting being 1 of them.

Best thing I can say that he taught me was to Conserve our wildlife for the Future Generation!

My Dad played a part in Me Hunting, but My Oldest Brother got me Hooked on Waterfowl, Birds of Prey, and Conservation for the Future.....Sorry to say, I don't look at him with the Eyes I did 20 years ago.
He has lost many things I found from him...Sad to say these Older Wiser Eyes do not see him as the Man he use to be! :thumbsdown:

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Brother and I made a joint venture. We picked up the sport our selves. Dad hunts quail and that is it. We are self made waterfowl, turkey, bird hunters in general. I still love to quail hunt though.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
I come from a large family, ( 5 sisters and 3 brothers) I'm the youngest boy. Having said that, my brothers were too busy to take their kid brother along on the hunt. On the other hand my brother-in-law (Jim) always seemed to have time to take me along. The odd thing is, he comes from a large family as well (8 kids total) and still made time for his new kid brother to go out squirrel hunting. I owe a debted gratitude to Jim for getting me involved in hunting rather than the streets. My sister and brother-in law moved to Indiana, and I lost two best friends. I look forward to seeing them on the holidays and miss our excursions in the woods. I took up duck hunting when I became married and became good friends with my father-in law. He told me to try it, even though I was a big-time bow hunter, and now I have the fever like no other! He said he remembers when he too was absolutely hooked on duck hunting, and says I've rekindled the flame, and is now enjoying it like he was a kid again. Wings cupped, Pete

· Registered
3,108 Posts
My Dad. He taught me all the basics. Gun safety, ethics, conservation, how to blow a duck call, shooting, etc. I was shooting a pellet gun and age 6, a .22 at 7, shooting the a shotgun at targets at age 8 and at age 9 I was shooting ducks with a .410 in the boat with him. Going along on deer hunts at age 10, hunting deer at age 12 (state law-you had to have passed the hunter safety and had to be age 12), hunting NoDak at age 14.

But I learned much of my current knowledge by actually just hunting. When to or not to call and which call to use, where to set up, how to set up, etc. Much of the modern things just were not around when I started. It was a big deal to even have an OB motor back then, now they have 50hp OBs and 35 Hypers/Muds. Acrylic calls, layout blinds, GPSs, ATVs, Full Body decoys, fairly accurate weather forecasts, and of course the internet/computers and now spinners are all recent events in waterfowling. Heck I taught him a trick or 2 before he died almost 10 years ago. He sure did like the gortex outwear for keeping him dry.
Sometimes I wonder if the "simpler" ways of yesteryear are better... a gunny sack of hand carved wood decoys, an old double pointed plywood hand made boat with a push pole, and a Herters wood duck call with a Winchester sweet 16 model 12 and clouds of ducks to hunt. VS all the fast paced stuff and "plastic" gear currently... and the lack of huntable ducks.
Hmmmmmm..... Newer is not always "better".... I think you guys that are middle aged or older will be able to relate.

One thing that has not changed is the pricks who call themselves "hunters". Had bad apples back then, and they are still around unfortunately.

· Registered
26 Posts
My dad got me started in hunting. He taught me how to shoot and then I did the rest by myself. We lived in what was considered the country at the time, and I would spend my days out in the brush refining my skills. When I could drive myself I set up a deal with the local farmer and would drive myself out to my duck ponds. I could not afford decoys, but I learned by trial and error. Now I have over eight dozen decoys, four guns for waterfowling, and enough camo for a store of my own. I shoot well and kill a lot of birds. I eat what I kill and know how old I am by how many seasons I have hunted. As I reflect on all the adventures I have had, and the memorys that will not fade, I always thank my dad.

· Registered
100 Posts
Yup, middle aged, or old aged..dunno where i fit now.. *S* but it was definately dad. *S* First Hunts were squirrels in about 1953, i was 4 yrs old... first he taught me how to sit still and watch and listen. Next was rabbits. Back in the 50's used to be tons of jackrabbits around here, and we would have contests on who could get the most. We didnt ever hear really anything about conservation back then. WEll except for buffaloes.. *S*. uhhhhhh next it was ducks. I remember walkin for miles along the Arkansas river bank in western kansas in about 1957... Never even heard of decoys... anyway years pass...dads gone... but it makes me feel good to take my adult son,,,and hear him say...he got it from me... *S*.. Brings a tear to ol weeds eye just thinkin of all them years of fun,,, with dad.... and now its only a memory... *S* .. Ohhhhhhh hehehe my oldest son is gonna have a son...in may... *S* god i hope i can start buildin that little guy some memorys like my dad and grampa did for me... i think ill try.... *S*...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.