Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm looking for a decent place to hunt some geese in western PA around the New Castle area. Mty grandpa lives there and wants me to come up and take him goose/duck hunting this coming fall. Are there any decent public areas that we could go to and try to get a few birds? I have him scouting around to see what he can find for private property but was looking for a public backup property...

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
PAwaterfowldominator said:
keep scouting
:huh: :huh:

Well.......I would get on the PA nwebsite & check out the Public lands in that area. Now, PAWD is right have him keep scouting, I just thought he'd give ya a little more :thumbsup: . If he does his homework I think you'll do just fine. If that day is approching & you don't have anything.........If you're willing to do some driving My crew & I will help you out...........I can't turn down a guy & his grandpa :wink: Good luck

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
I have plenty of public area that I can show you . Most of the spots I would show you are in the Pymatuning area. Murders row, linesville, hartstown, old L are good spots, Some you need waders and a canoe but some are fields. PM me and i'll take care of you. Newcastle is 45 minutes from a lot of killer spots.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't forget about Moraine either .....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Moraine has alot of resident geese..... They are also in the RP zone which is nice since you get the longer season than the Pymatuming Zone. My hunting there has been limited to ducks in the early season when geese aren't in season so we've never had any goose deeks out or tried calling them but we always at least have geese around.

My advice is to get the map of the park that they have available and figure out exactly where you're allowed to hunt and where you're not. It can be a little confusing. And talk to the park rangers if you have questions.

·
Registered
430 Posts
duckinater said:
keep scouting
Where you hunting at??? 119 geese and 182 ducks???? Now thats a season if you ask me!
I hunted mainly PA. I went to Maryland twice this year as well. I probably won't ever have a season like this past one again. This past fall was my senior semester of college and I only had to take 1 class to finish my degree and that class was at 6:00pm Wednesday night. I scouted, hunted, and practiced non-stop on my calls everyday that I possibly could. I started working for a living now and I doubt I'll put down the number of birds I did this year again.

·
Registered
430 Posts
QUACK3XS said:
The numbers are nice.....but the time in the feild is better :thumbsup:
There's no doubt about that! Being able to shoot is just a bonus for me. I would still go out as much as I possibly could just because there is no feeling in the world like watching a flock of canadas lock their wings in your face or watching a group of mallards dive bomb your decoys.

I simply just love this stuff. I swear I'd retire my rifle and bow if waterfowl season was in all the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
duckinater said:
keep scouting
Where you hunting at??? 119 geese and 182 ducks???? Now thats a season if you ask me!
I hunted mainly PA. I went to Maryland twice this year as well. I probably won't ever have a season like this past one again. This past fall was my senior semester of college and I only had to take 1 class to finish my degree and that class was at 6:00pm Wednesday night. I scouted, hunted, and practiced non-stop on my calls everyday that I possibly could. I started working for a living now and I doubt I'll put down the number of birds I did this year again.
I understand that bud. I'm just under 3 years out of college so about the only times I hunt now are the weekends and the occasional "sick day" :rofl:

We were out every saturday and sunday after church from 2 weeks before Thanksgiving till the last weekend of January when season went out. It was one heck of a season and my first season, but I'm hooked... I love waterfowling like I though I never would. Its right up there with deer hunting!!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
There's no doubt about that! Being able to shoot is just a bonus for me. I would still go out as much as I possibly could just because there is no feeling in the world like watching a flock of canadas lock their wings in your face or watching a group of mallards dive bomb your decoys.

I simply just love this stuff. I swear I'd retire my rifle and bow if waterfowl season was in all the time.
Well said :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
duckinater said:
We were out every saturday and sunday after church from 2 weeks before Thanksgiving till the last weekend of January when season went out. It was one heck of a season and my first season, but I'm hooked... I love waterfowling like I though I never would. Its right up there with deer hunting!!
I don't believe you can hunt on a Sunday in PA :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUACK3XS said:
duckinater said:
I don't believe you can hunt on a Sunday in PA :thumbsdown:
You are correct :sad:

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Moraine is a hit or miss type place. Most of the time its miss. Election house road has a launch point for canoes and I've had luck back there. I don't have a small boat ( my canoe and oar or 90 HP ski boat are my options) so rowing over to the propagation area is out of the question. Divers even hit moraine every once in a while. Conemaugh, loyalhanna, kiskimenitas, yough,upper allegheny river, racoon s.p. are all the same. its a crap shoot. That's why I go to geneva and pymie so much. Better odds for sure. any of you guys want to swap some spots PM me. I have no problem with taking people out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just recently got big into waterfowling over the past year. I am currently living in Colorado and I'm coming home tomorrow to Pittbsburgh for the holiday. I'd love to take my little bro out for his first hunting experience while I'm home if at all possible, but I won't be able to bring all of my gear with me and I've never done any hunting in PA. If anyone has any suggestions for a spot resonably close to pittsburgh over the next 5 days or so, I'd be very grateful and I'll be sure to show you a good time if you ever come out to the mountains of Colorado.

Happy Holidays,
Chad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts