Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tryin to decide if i should buy a Nova or an 870. I have owned an 870 in the past and I loved it. I just wanted to hear what someone has to say that has shot both the Benelli and the Remington. I know the nova shoots 3.5, but I could get a super mag remington to do the same. Tell me what you think

·
Registered
110 Posts
AO said:
I have owned an 870 in the past and I loved it.
I think that says it all...go with what works for you! I've owned a Nova for 3 years and I'm moving on after this season. I don't recommend one to others, although Benelli's service was refreshingly great to deal with.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I've heard many good things about the Nova.

But should not the fit of the gun be foremost? Meaning if the gun does not fit you well--it is pretty hard to shoot well, so what is the best fit for you of those guns? That is what I go by VS brand name,. etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have owned a 870, and now I am shooting the Nova. Nothing wrong with the 870, but I like the feel of the nova better. If you do get a nova. I would get a camo dipped the finish is awesome and protects against rust better than a blued finish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a nova this season and I like it a lot, it shoots good, the only thing that I didnt like about it is that the butt stock is molded into the receiver making it all one piece. It pumps fast and the camo version is cool looking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. I grew up on 870s just like most of America did. I got my Super Black Eagle about 13-14 years ago. I still have all my guns, and won a Winchester pump a couple years ago at a DU banquet. I took it down to trade it in on a Nova the next day for a back up gun. After playing with it, I bought another 870. Reasoning being, I am to old school. I couldn't stand the saftey in front of the triger. They are both great guns, they will both rust if not kept clean. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the nova.. Can't go wrong with either. The 870 has probably taken more duck lifes than any other pump ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just got a Nova and used it last season I did really enjoy it although it took me a little while to get use to the safty. They only thing is I'm going to get the recoile reducer for next season cause that thing kicks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used a Nova 28" for the past two seasons and had great luck. I abused it like no gun deserved and it always came back for more- the stuff I put it through during Michigan's early goose season trying to get to good cover was insane, and it kept right on going.

It had a steady diet of nothing but 3.5" Kent Fasteel and 3.5" Hevi-Shot for goose- and never had a problem with either.

I've sold it, but not because I wasn't happy- just heading back to my semi-auto roots.

Enjoy!

Brent

·
Registered
135 Posts
birdgunner04 said:
Buy the 870 or even a mossburg 835 before a nova. I dont care what they say about a rust proof finish. On my first trip to the coast mine rusted before I got back to the cabin.(20mins) The other noticable flaw is even after being taken apart, totally cleaned,oiled and reassembed it still will not fire every time the trigger is pulled. Also shoddy fit and finish buy whatever fits YOU

·
Registered
4 Posts
870 by far and away will beat the nova, there are obviously guns out there that will rival the 870 for durability and the like, but the nova is not. I've owned one before and had buddies that have had them, only one of my buddies still has his. I was thinkin we should get all the people together that hate the nova and have a huge nova burning party, kinda like they did with witches back in the day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its soundling like a lot of people are having a different experience with Novas than I did.

What kinds of problems are you all seeing?

Brent

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going on my second season with the nova and absolutly love it. I also own 3 870's and haven't ever had a prob. I have used my nova as a push pole,a paddle and billy club for stubborn birds and still experianced a flawless preformance. One advantage is the nova's easy disasembly. In less that a minute I can completly gut that gun for cleaning. Like Brent I too am wondering what problems a nova is causing others thanks

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I just got a nova this year and love it so far. I love the double ventrib and extra features over an 870. I don't know if ANYthing can be tougher than the 870, but this is a lot smoother. The newer 870s just feel cheap IMO. The stalks are rough and the metal is ugly. I do like the wingmasters though, I just can't see spending that much on a waterfowl pump.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I own a Nova nd have used 870's. The question of fit is a big one here. At 6" 3 and with long arms, the Nova is defitely the more comfortable gun for me. I have never had problems with it, and I have treated it like an anchor. I use it for geese and eider duck hunting. It works well for that, but I would never use it for deer or turkey...it rattles too much. It does have a very long pumo slide, so longer arms are better for it. It is not a good looking gun in my opinion, but I would take it over the 870 any day (I love their rifles, but I cannot warm up to Remington shotguns...and I own 2). By the way, the Nova will rust...the barrel is made of cheap steel, so grease it good after your hunt.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i have 2 novas now and like them,but if i had the money i would buy a remington wingmaster super mag. the wingmaster is a super nice gun but you pay for it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts