Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

does anyone out there enjoy reading anymore? i used to hate reading a book/novel/etc. but over the last 7-8 years i have had a change of heart. i have read just about all of tom clancy's fictional series, they were great. i enjoyed j.r.r. tolkien's hobbit and ring trilogy. i have also really enjoyed reading c.s. lewis' mere christianity and screwtape letters. currently i am reading the ragamuffin gospel by brennan manning and the da vinci code is next. what i am looking for though is outdoor literature. javilah babcock is a great outdoor writer. i was wondering who are some good authors that write about hunting or fishing. it doesn't matter whether it's fiction or non-. i just don't know of any "good" outdoor writers who can really spin a yarn.

so, what/who are you reading?

· Registered
380 Posts
I read Dean Koontz.

Have read all of his books to date.

Even read books that he released under "Pen Names"

When a new book of his comes out, I get it and Don't want to be bothered till I'm finished reading it!

My Wife Refuses to let me buy books about wildlife and the outdoors. She thinks I'll go crazy and buy, buy, buy. Which would be true!

· Registered
434 Posts
I enjoyed the Clancy novels too. Seems like I was always learning something along the way about the armed forces and the goverment.

If you like cowboy stories, I enjoy reading Louis L'Amour.

· Registered
624 Posts
Hey shrpshtr, The Da Vinci Code is great, but I recommend reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown first. It is about the same character and is chronologically before The Code. I actually enjoyed it more than The Code. Right now I am reading Damn Good Dawgs. It is a book about that loveable dawg that we all charmingly refer to as Uga. :yes:

· Registered
452 Posts
Stories of the Old Duck Hunters by Gordon MacQuarrie
i ordered that today from the bookstore. never herd of it sounds like my kind of stuff. will be getting "thin green line" too. this is a cool thread, keep em' coming guys!

· Registered
205 Posts
Read "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark. It is about an "old salt" grandfather who spends alot of time with his grandson duck hunting, quail hunting, surf fishing, and eating turtle eggs! Ruark was from our area and the story timeframe was in the '50s. One of the most entertaining books I have ever read. Anyone with a son (or has been a son) that enjoys the outdoors should read it!

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all of the recommendations. i didn't have any idea hemmingway was an outdoor writer. which of his works are you referring to? i will have to check out some of the other authors mentioned. are there anymore anyone can think of?

· Registered
204 Posts
God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life

Not super super religious or anything, but my wife got me this book and I loved it. If you are a conservative, definitely a good read.

· Registered
109 Posts
"The old man and the sea" comes to mind for Hemingway, anything by Patrick McManus, (outdoor humorist) but don't read it in bed because you'll keep your wife awake from laughing so hard. "The essential Lewis and Clark" from the diaries of Lewis and Clark by Landon Jones and finally the Dirk Pitt series from Clive Cussler. That ought to keep you busy.

· Registered
624 Posts
Ted Nugent's "God, Guns, and Rock in Roll" is a great read for anyone, but especially an outdoorsman and gun advocate. I also enjoyed his "Kill it and Grill it", but it is more cook book than novel. :getdown:

· Registered
193 Posts
Old man and the Sea is a classic book my Ernest Hemingway, and is very good. Hemingway on Fishing and The Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway are also good. Across the River and into the Trees has one of the greatest descriptions of duck hunting I've ever read in the begining of the book, but the rest of the book isn't focused on the outdoors.

Hunting the Edges by Richard Yatzeck is also good.

I'm sure there are more, I'll check my bookshelves later.

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
looks like i have a bunch of things i can get started with. thanks everyone. one last question on this...do any of the current field & stream/ducks unlimited/outdoor life/etc. contributing writers have anything available that you all may know of? thanks for the great response.

· Registered
304 Posts
If your into classics, it's hard to beat Jack London for the outdoors. Some interesting reads are Upton Sinclairs, "The Jungle" published in 1916 I believe, it details an immigrants life in America at the turn of the century, he had a job in a meat packing plant, it goes into the details and ghastly horrors of the meat industry of the time, in fact, it was a considerable force in developing the FDA and meat quality control. You'll never look at bologna the same again. For you fishing fanatics, John Hersheys "Blues" is a great book on the ocean, and it's role in life as related to fishing. For Pro 2d and RTKBA interests, any book by John Lott is good, such as "The Bias Against Guns" and "More Guns Less Crime"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.