Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often times we hunt the same Lake and River on the same day, it's to bad we couldn't come up with someway to let each other know where we will be hunting without letting the whole world know. NOW HOLD ON just hear me out, I'm thinking in case one of us gets into trouble and we need help right now. I'm thinking down in the Finger Lake or out on Ontario this could save time and lives. Lets hear what you think and your ideas or if you think I need to ease up on the Flu meds I'm on, just a thought. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
So basically you're proposing a large scale buddy system? I like it. I could radio over the VHF "870 870 870 This is the Duckhead over". You'd reply "This is 870 break". at which point I would say "I'm dangerously low on ammo, and my boat is taking on water from being overloaded with broadbills, please come and bring more shells, and clean some of these ducks". I am located 1.2 miles N-NW of Clayton Town docks and 300 yds S-SE of Calumet Island. Good idea i like it. OH yeah, I would add: "And 870, bring a landing craft to get Taheels candy ass off this rock, he's cold and crying for the Carolinas" :rofl:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
870 said:
:stouff: no you missed the point :rolleyes: forget it bad idea
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the Idea..........but I got first dibs......My call sign will be "COVEY LEADER"......anyone want to be "RAVEN"(rambo) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
852 Posts
CPT D, the next time I see you, just turn around so I can make it easier on you and just put my candy *** boot up yours. You are gonna get it bro.

Now 870, if you are through bashing me. I say we get each others numbers, home and cell, and that way we can call in a time of need, unless ya'll are scared that I might use that against you and publish your phone numbers in places you never thought of, or go to your house, sneak up on you, take your dog, and teach him all sorts of bad tricks!! :rofl:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am seeing a revival of the CB's, not quite what I had in mind. Quack that's a good handle for you. Chris, since you're Infantry how's about Shoot and Scoot, CTP thought Teddy Bear would fit you better, I told him he better know how to run fast. :no:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think that's a good idea 870. I hunted a new spot up on Lake Ontario this year and I met a friend at the launch that morning and we hunted about a quarter mile away from each other. It sure made me feel better having him around. I just don't know the best way that we could do what you're suggesting without informing all the cyberscouters out there.

Do you guys really have radios in your boats? I have thought a radio would be a good thing to have. But I didn't think that there would be anyone around my area during November - January who would hear me.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally don't have a VHF radio in my boat WW. I've always had my cell phone, which seems to be the most obvious answer. I guess the hitch in the get along is letting our friends on here know where we will be hunting without letting the cyberscouters know as well, oh well. :huh:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I gotm your idea, and I think it's a good one. I just wanted a chance to bust some beans. I haven't done that in a while and it feels great. I think through PMs on this sight and cell phones we could get a pretty good system worked out. It would also work so that more than one party won't try to hunt the same spot in the same day. Just need to work out the details now.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'm down with radios. What size antenea do you think would be best for my layout blind?

I'll drop you guys a line to tell you when I need you to walk out in my cornfield and fill up my thermos :rofl:

Just kidding 870. I think it is a good idea. Unfortunately, I think the only way to avoid cyberscouters would be to have a password protected bulletin board, and that is over my technical head. Maybe we could bring it up with Chris. I'll post it up in the Mod Forum. Also, I think there is no way to avoid somebody taking advantage of the goodwill of the majority of us. It would be only a matter of time before some jerk would start posting up that they wil be hunting "XXYY" location just to keep others out of it. I like the idea but I am too synical to believe in the good nature of everyone

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt you're probably right. I thought of the same thing after posting it, there could be those who would take advantage of it, to lock down an area. Lets just forget the whole thing, bad idea. :no:

I guess we could just give our cell numbers to those we trust before the season just in case we get into trouble.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like it. In fact, I've been doing it for years with fishing. I split my time betweeb NY and VA, and when I fish on LI I'm always on the radio with guys helping out. I don't see why this couldn't be the case with hunting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well peteyg, the main problem is cyberscouters, those who lurk sites looking to pick up where the ducks/geese are without doing any real scouting of their own. (lazy sob's ) :mad:

It looks like you'll have to get into some kind of click of guys you trust., personally I hate clicks. Maybe that's the answer :huh:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
870 I think you're onto a good idea. I never really considered cyberscouters, that's all new stuff to me. But a group of us could decide to PM each other regarding locations, times and emergency contact info. I'm not entirely opposed to giving out my hunting locations either, in my opinion anyone can hunt where I hunt, and it's not really a big secret, you can hear for miles hammering away out there on any given morning, most people don't have the backbone or the means to hunt where I do, so I'll happily give any location, it's just after talking to you guys that I became conscious of these cyberscouters.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's just it CAP I'm not saying we give out our location on where we'll be hunting. Just that we'll be on a certain River or Lake, say on Sat that way we will know that there is at least a boat near by to help out if need be. Deer hunters shoot each other, Duck hunters die of hypothermia

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good idea 870 most of us know where we'll be a couple days prior, Just post your general location ( Niagara river, Cayuga Lake or The big lakes) Then any of us hunting in the same area could pm them with more detailed info. Those of us that hunt by ourself would like to know where we could get help or just know that someone else is close by. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think Armyguy might be on to something. That sounds like it would probably be the most logical answer. I never really thought about the "cyberscouting" aspect until I saw the term in a thread a few weeks ago. It's easy to think that you're the only one that knows your secret spots, etc., but I guess you never know who's out there watching and waiting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.